If you are using WordPress for the first time, here is an informative step-by-step guide for getting started. WordPress provides with a wide range of options to guide you, in case you need help at any time. If you are new to WordPress, here’s what you have to do.
Step 1 – Read About WordPress
There are a lot of resources online that will help you to understand what WordPress can do for your website. As it is a content management system, the basic function of WordPress for providing a perfect platform for designing and setting up a website or a blog. WordPress has a user friendly interface; it is very powerful and flexible. Read and understand why should you use WordPress hosting for your website; this will help you in devising a proper plan for heading forward.
Step 2 – Plan Of Action
On the basis of the information you got, you can start devising the plan of action. You might want to include all the things that you would like to do with WordPress. Here are some basic aspects that must be a part of your plan.
* Web hosting requirements of your website
* Versions of PHP and MySQL
* Compatibility with the web host
* Login credentials of your websuite
* Text editor
* FTP client software
* The web browser you prefer
* Making a plan about how you would like to use WordPress for your website is essential as it will save a lot of time later.
Here is a list of some important questions that you must ask yourself while making this plan.
* WordPress installation will be done in the root directory or sub directory? Or you would only want to make a test website?
* What categories will be included in your website? Will your content be organized by groups?
* Have you decided on the list of web pages that will be included in your website?
* Have you decided the header of the website?
* How you would like to manage the content on the website?
* What information will be featured on the website and the blog?
* Would you like to integrate social media into the website?
If you are establishing the website for the first time, you can consider signing up for a Shared Windows Hosting account that comprises of the WordPress CMS and then upgrade it later in accordance with the website requirements. Selecting the right web hosting platform is extremely essential as the functioning of your website is dependent on it.
Step 3 – Install WordPress
If you have made the complete plan, the next step is installing WordPress. It is essential to follow a step by step process for installing WordPress on your website.
Step 4 – Set Up WordPress
Once the installation process is complete, it’s time to set up WordPress so that it functions according to your preferences. Here is information on some of the basic tasks that you will have to perform.
For setting up the user profile, go to Users >> Your profile page
In order to setup the website name and other information; go to Administration > Settings > General
Once you have published a few posts, you can also check out the full edit or quick edit features by going to Administration > Posts > Posts Panel
For adding information in the ‘About’ and ‘Contact’ pages, go to Administration > Pages > Add New
For changing the look of your website go to Administration > Appearance > Themes and select the theme of your choice.
If you are not happy with the selected theme, it can be changed with just a few clicks. You can also create your own theme and perform some major amendments; however for doing this, you will have to be familiar with HTML, XHTML and CSS.
Step 5 – Adding WordPress Plugins
WordPress offers with a wide range of ‘add-on’ scripts and programs known as plugins that will enable you to establish an efficient and impressive website. WordPress plugins perform various tasks, that include:
* Customizing the results of your website information
* Adding weather information
* Adding the spell check function
* Showcasing a list of posts and acronyms
The information mentioned above will get you started with WordPress and after performing the tasks mentioned above, you can create your roadmap in terms of how your website will progress further. you can also plunge into deeper aspects of WordPress, however for doing this you will have to be familiar with PHP, HTML, XHTML and CSS.
Using WordPress is simple and easy. In case you encounter any issues you can contact the webhosting company or check the online information resources provided by WordPress. So don’t hold back yourself, get going woth the web hosting account powered by WordPress and make your dream websiute a reality.