You may trouble with the following error while browsing your ASP.NET website (in IIS 7/7.5/8/8.5).
HTTP Error 404.17 – Not Found
The requested content appears to be script and will not be served by the static file handler.
See the error snippet at below.
There are several causes behind this error:
1. The ASP.NET website has inappropriate request handlers defined in IIS.
2. Necessary .NET framework has the restriction in “ISAPI and CGI restrictions” in IIS.
Error can be resolved through following steps:
1. Access IIS manager (Go to start – Run – type ‘INETMGR’)
2. Choose the Server Name (System Name)
3. Select ISAPI and CGI restrictions in right side windowpane.
4. Change the Not Allowed restrictions to Allow for required framework.
See the following snap, to allow ISAPI and CGI restrictions
5. If required framework doesn’t exist in ISAPI and CGI restrictions then you have to re-registered framework by the following command.
Go to Start – Run put following command in Run window
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 \aspnet_regiis.exe -i
This given example for .NET framework 4.0. You can also use same command for any version of .NET framework.
6. Set necessary .NET version in application pool.
7. Enable 32-bit Application in application pool.
8. Restart IIS.
Now try to browse the same website.