Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm rather cheesed off to say the least!

Last Wednesday my Messageboard stopped working. I spent a number of occasions with the online chat getting nowhere, only then to be told yesterday that it's because the YABB Messageboard that I had (installed via the c-panel if I remember) would not work anymore due to FP Extensions no longer being supported!

I also knew nothing about FP being removed, and must admit to being surprised when I was pointed in the direction of this 3 month old post. If this is the case how has my Messageboard worked for the 3 months since...

Plus in a post above it says that Linux Server has now been set up with FP Extensions - so why is it an issue.

I'm also told now that I can't use FP to upload via HTTP, if I try to use FTP from FP I get an error saying that it can't make a data connection to the remote site, and now my Website has disappeared.

To make matters worse I had emailed detailing that my Messageboard, Website and Email had all stopped working, I got a reply for the Messageboard and then the ticket was closed with no mention to the other issues.
    Last edited by steve.bott; 17-06-08, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve.bott View Post
      I also knew nothing about FP being removed, and must admit to being surprised when I was pointed in the direction of this 3 month old post.
      Well it's not three months but I'll agree, this is really is not on. I fail to see why an email could not have been sent to users informing of them of this move, especially when the criticism has been made here and especially when the removal was unscheduled. Did they think that perhaps people would not notice? Can't Web hosting UK see that this is bound to cause bad feelings??

In the meantime, I am still trying to get an answer to what potential risk there might be to my VPS, as a result of having FPE installed.
      Last edited by black-dog; 17-06-08, 12:53 PM.
      black-dog
      4theweb.co.uk Web stuff
      slipperyhill.co.uk Band

Comment

Yep - I noticed after posting that the original post said it would commence 4th June.

Comment

Just my 2 pennies worth

In the following post http://www.webhosting.uk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2757 Admin said the following

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
          I will take your suggestion and we will train our support staff working in night shift to send notification to customers for respective server.
          Now to me that says that if a problem occured during the night (or any other time) then customers would be emailed. The date of that was 16th July 2007 LAST YEAR. How long does it take to train support staff to do the very LEAST that should be done which is keep customers informed? It is NOT part of the contract with www.webhosting.uk.com that we HAVE TO read the forum every day!

Comment

I'm not saying an email has been sent, but reading what you have all been saying.. you are implying one hasn't been sent and not one hasn't been sent succesfully.
            Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
            Support: 0800-612-8725
            International: +44 191 303 8191

Comment

I've sent a complaint to Webhosting about keeping people informed in general. My complaint relates to the Online Chat where often you are just sat there looking at a Chat window not knowing whether the person at the other end is even still there. For example you might get a comment such as "the problem is with your xxx" and then nothing else. Now something like "the problem is with your xxx and I will check it out for you" would be more helpful so at least you know that they are doing something. If I had a pound for everytime that I had said "are you still there" I would be a very rich man...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I'm not saying an email has been sent, but reading what you have all been saying.. you are implying one hasn't been sent and not one hasn't been sent succesfully.
                What !!!

All we wanted was an email sent when it happened (or very shortly after) stating that there was a problem and what could be done about it. It doesn't take hardly any time or effort to do a bulk email and I think (as many others seem to reading the above posts) that is THE LEAST that webuk should do. And it appears you promised to get this sort of thing in place almost a year ago. Not all your customers read the forum every day - or even at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassie View Post
                  What !!!

All we wanted was an email sent when it happened (or very shortly after) stating that there was a problem and what could be done about it. It doesn't take hardly any time or effort to do a bulk email and I think (as many others seem to reading the above posts) that is THE LEAST that webuk should do. And it appears you promised to get this sort of thing in place almost a year ago. Not all your customers read the forum every day - or even at all.
                  I'm not an employee, just a satisfied customer. I was suggesting that an email may have been sent but due to circumstances you may not have received it.

No need to be hasty towards me.

Comment

I wasn't being nasty - I just couldn't understand what you said or the relevance to the thread.

They have already told us they had not and were not going to send emails out. The removing of FP EXT did not have any affect on emails - just the functionality of the websites and uploading. Therefore IF they had sent an email we would have known what was going on rather than having a nasty surprise when our websites stopped working. Even 2 weeks on obviously not everyone knows.

Comment

I wasn't being nasty - I just couldn't understand what you said or the relevance to the thread.

They have already told us they had not and were not going to send emails out. The removing of FP EXT did not have any affect on emails - just the functionality of the websites and uploading. Therefore IF they had sent an email we would have known what was going on rather than having a nasty surprise when our websites stopped working. Even 2 weeks on obviously not everyone knows.
                      Apologies, I'm only following on from the last few replies or so.

Comment

I have just found out that I am one of the ones affected. AND I WAS NOT INFORMED.

If i didn't visit the forum how would i have known?

This is completely disgusting and totally unacceptable.

None of the form are working on my website - if I hadn't tried to update the site today I would not have know. This is not very professional of you is it ?

Yet again you have let me down - you really do get what you pay for - cheap hosting - cheap service.
                        I have just been informed from 3 of my customers that they can no longer upload their sites using FP extensions. I will not bore you all with the details but am very disappointed to be told that they have pulled the service from my server. I was also very disappointed that they did not contact me to let me know, despite them saying they did. I now have to contact my customers and see if I can persuade them to use FTP to uplaod and not use any features that FP provide in the extentions. This would have been ideal before the event rather than after.

Anyway, WebHostingUK were very polite and understanding on the phone and have always provided me with 1st class service when using their support chat service. I just hope I do not loose any customers over this.

Regards

Comment

To cap it all (and contradictory to the above posts) I have just got an email from webuk saying if I wanted to go back to Linux server I could !!
                          It looks like not all linux servers are affected - suggest you ask to be moved to one which isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by aa-online View Post
                            I have just been informed from 3 of my customers that they can no longer upload their sites using FP extensions. I will not bore you all with the details but am very disappointed to be told that they have pulled the service from my server. I was also very disappointed that they did not contact me to let me know, despite them saying they did. I now have to contact my customers and see if I can persuade them to use FTP to uplaod and not use any features that FP provide in the extentions. This would have been ideal before the event rather than after.

Anyway, WebHostingUK were very polite and understanding on the phone and have always provided me with 1st class service when using their support chat service. I just hope I do not loose any customers over this.

Regards
                            Thanks for the kind words. We will continue to provide 1st class support and service to all our clients.

Hope you successfully retain all your customers.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                              It looks like not all linux servers are affected - suggest you ask to be moved to one which isn't.
                              We have kept a cPanel shared hosting server reserved for FrontPage Extensions. If you want you can switch to this server. Our System Admins have integrated multiple security measures and patches to try and keep the server safe. But we would not be assuming any responsibility of the security and integrity of the data and files stored on this server.

Comment

Working...
                              X