Unable to update Python via terminal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to update Python via terminal

Iím using Ubuntu 17. I have updated Python 3.5 to 3.6 via terminal but it still showing previous 3.5.3 version.

Code:
    ~$ python3 --version Python 3.5.3
    How to fix that?

How did you update it?

Comment

According to:
      https://askubuntu.com/questions/8655.../865569#865569

Comment

How did you upgrade? I doubtful you may have a python3.6 binary some place.

Normally, you never need to replace /usr/container/python or /usr/canister/python3 with your own particular versions. Essential parts of Ubuntu require their steady Python surroundings, and generally, that is incompatible with you messing around.

That all stated, having a /usr/canister/python3.6 (or /usr/nearby/container/python3.6, or whatever in your path) would be fine. In the event that you would prefer not to sort all that in each time, you might need to take a look at virtualenv and the numerous wrapper automation choices for it. This has the extra bonus of not intimidating your system's site_packages with your development work.

Comment

At that point you call it utilizing python3.6. python3 will remain symlinked to python3.5 and you have to keep it that way. Look into virtual environments like Nimbus wrote in his answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimbus View Post
            How did you upgrade? I doubtful you may have a python3.6 binary some place.

Normally, you never need to replace /usr/container/python or /usr/canister/python3 with your own particular versions. Essential parts of Ubuntu require their steady Python surroundings, and generally, that is incompatible with you messing around.

That all stated, having a /usr/canister/python3.6 (or /usr/nearby/container/python3.6, or whatever in your path) would be fine. In the event that you would prefer not to sort all that in each time, you might need to take a look at virtualenv and the numerous wrapper automation choices for it. This has the extra bonus of not intimidating your system's site_packages with your development work.
            Thanks for the solution. Now I have to find out that how to use virtualenv.

Comment

Working...
            X