Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to hide the current directory size in SSH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hide the current directory size in SSH?

I have never observed this. When I SSH into my server I see the current directory size. While exploring, this includes lots of overhead as it calculates the folder size when I change directories.

Is there any way to hide that feature?

That calculation is done in your bash "Prompt" (see man bash). Edit your ~/.bashrc and search for where the PS1 value is defined.

Comment

echo $PS1 can be a useful way to check the value of PS1 quickly without requiring to open ~/.bashrc first.

Comment

Great. Thanks a lot. Found the line and removed it!

Comment

The other day I was working on an SD card for a Raspberry Pi (RPi) and needed to delete some files in a folder. I ls -al the folder path I am looking for files in and confirm they are there. I want to delete all the files in this folder. I cd into the full path of the directory that contains these files.

Now, I am confident that I want to delete all the files in the current directory. I run rm -rf ~/* and bam...run ls -al and....the files are still there, then wtf did I delete!? Oh well I just do rm on each file, there's only 3 in the Speed Test folder.
          Last edited by winkibili; 04-05-21, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X