Personal Hosting Vs. Shared Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Hosting Vs. Shared Hosting

I have heard that personal hosting plans are much similar to shared web hosting packages, but much rich in terms of features. What different features does personal website hosting offers in general compare to shared web hosting?

Can i use personal hosting for my existing photography site , whose database is around 2 GB and traffic is around 1000 visitors/day. Price doesn't matter for me if i am getting a good support and service in return.

Hi, i have gone through your web hosting requirements, and i think a Supreme cPanel hosting Package offered by WHUK is a perfect solution for your photography website. The package includes 5 GB disk space and 50GB monthly bandwidth, which i think is enough as per your website requirements at 5.60/month.

It also provides RVSitebuilder which is an excellent online site builder tool, full database support for PHPMyAdmin and MySQL absolutely free, Shared SSL for your online shops and the most importantly 99.95% Uptime Guarantee with 24x7 Ticket, Chat and Phone support for all your hosting related issues.

And, yes the personal hosting package are much similar to the shared hosting as well as cpanel web hosting packages. You can refer the following link for more information about cPanel Hosting packages: cPanel Hosting UK | Shared Linux PHP MySQL cPanel Hosting
    Last edited by Rupert; 23-11-09, 10:37 AM.

Comment

If you mean to find difference between Shared and Personal Website Hosting then you might not find any difference as such. Basically, both personal and shared website hosting is one and the same.

To host your personal photography site, you can consider Supreme Plan, as suggested by Rupert. It meets your requirements. If you need more bandwidth in future, you may upgrade to next higher plan, i.e. ADVANCE plan at any point of time.

Hope that helps

Comment

Yes i do agree

Personal packages and shared packages are same, personal packages are aimed to drive the people looking for hosting their personal web pages. more probably you can say that shared hosting and personal hosting are two sides of a Coin

Comment

Some of the customers get confused as to which hosting package they should choose and the confusion is most probably due to the name of the hosting package. Hence, it is better to consider a hosting package on the basis of the requirements and not the name of the hosting package.

For example, some of the hosting providers name the cPanel hosting packages as Personal hosting packages or shared hosting packages, however, the features offered with them are almost similar with some changes in the resource allocation i.e. the disk space and bandwidth provided.

Due to this reason, you should be clear about the features you need with the amount of disk space and bandwidth required which will help you to choose a hosting package

Comment

Originally posted by Emma View Post
            I have heard that personal hosting plans are much similar to shared web hosting packages, but much rich in terms of features. What different features does personal website hosting offers in general compare to shared web hosting?

Can i use personal hosting for my existing photography site , whose database is around 2 GB and traffic is around 1000 visitors/day. Price doesn't matter for me if i am getting a good support and service in return.

Personal hosting = Shared hosting
            Some webhost call it as personal hosting and other call them as cPanel hosting or shared hosting ... Well, it's just the difference in name
            Personal hosting plans are small, cheap hosting packages which are generally used by small business owners for hosting their online business.
            Allotted Diskspace & bandwidth options are the most important factors which you should consider before you go with any host.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma View Post

What you've heard about personal hosting is correct,shared and personal hosting are the same. Though much about it has been said by others,I would only like to add that,you need to first of all decide the platform on which you intend to host your website,whether Linux or Windows. Accordingly you can either choose cPanel Supreme hosting plan or Windows standard or supreme plan. But if money is not the matter of concern,I would suggest you to checkout the VPS plans too.With it you would get better privileges and more resources for your website.The VPS are capable of handling spikes,just incase traffic to your website suddenly increase,it would not affect the performance of your website.

Comment

A cPanel hosting package can fulfill your website requirements, however, in future if you recognize that your business is growing you may switch to the VPS hosting plans which is managed hosting and offers you much advanced security compare to personal and cpanel hosting.

Comment

It is possible to upgrade your hosting package at any point of time if your requirements increase in future You only need to pay the price difference between the 2 hosting packages and there are no additional charges for upgrading the hosting package
                  Cloud Shared Web Hosting UK | Dedicated Servers | Request Dedicated Server Hosting Quote
                  Contest :: Refer and Win a FREE Domain and FREE Hosting

Comment

These are valid points suggested by Haddin and WH-Garry9. Most people keep guessing about the upgradation and are reluctant to upgrade,thinking for the additional expenditure.

This is worth highlighting that WHUK does charge anything extra to their customers for upgrading to the higher package.We simply have to pay the difference in the package prices.Neither do they charge setup fees. So if you are hosted with them,you simply need to send an email across to their billing mail id and make the payment.You will be upgraded to the upgraded server within no time.

Ofcourse if you are upgrading from a VPS to a Dedicated Server then there are chances of facing some downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilton View Post
                      Ofcourse if you are upgrading from a VPS to a Dedicated Server then there are chances of facing some downtime.
                      The websites face downtime as the nameservers of the domains are to be updated and it takes some time for the nameservers to propagate, however, the support dept. at WHUK always try and make sure that there is minimum downtime.
                      Cloud Shared Web Hosting UK | Dedicated Servers | Request Dedicated Server Hosting Quote

Comment

This can easily be done without any downtime too

If you want to upgrade to Dedicated Server then you can simply order a Dedicated Server, let it setup and then after the data migration is completed, you can ask for termination of VPS. Hence, no downtime and VPS upgraded to Dedicated Server

Comment

The downtime is due to the name servers mate

Comment

Good morning,

The OP talked about having a database, if users of the site can can do anything that updates the database then the site on the VPS has to move into a read only mode. If the site hasn't been designed with this in mind this may be a problem.

The site has to be down between the time that the move of the database from the VPS is started and the move is completed onto the Dedicated server. Assuming that some checks will be done after the move this will take a few hours.

Of course if the OP is unlucky a major issue will occur and the move will become a lower priority, or something weird will happen. I got caught once when a client moved a desk top application to a new server which had a different default collation sequence to the old server. The application used temporary tables and these are created with the new collation sequence, but the existing tables used the old sequence which meant that you couldn't join the them!

I would suggest that it would be much easier all round to simply say that site is unavailable for a few hours/a day rather than try and explain that it is in a read only mode.

Bye

Ian
                            Last edited by IanSmithISA; 26-11-09, 11:46 AM. Reason: Remove unncessary word
                            Forums are about debating pleasantly not agreeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanersone View Post
                              This can easily be done without any downtime too

If you want to upgrade to Dedicated Server then you can simply order a Dedicated Server, let it setup and then after the data migration is completed, you can ask for termination of VPS. Hence, no downtime and VPS upgraded to Dedicated Server
                              Well, in order to make sure that the domains i.e. your websites resolve from the dedicated server after you upgrade from the VPS, you need to update the nameservers of your domains and some time is required to update the nameservers

This is the reason for which websites face some downtime.

Comment

Working...
                              X