Separating email and web servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separating email and web servers

I have a cpanel shared hosting package, supporting a .com website. I have a holding page on the website and I use the email reasonably heavily. The nameservers are ns29and ns30.redbackinternet.net which I am assuming are webhosting UK nameservers. I bought the package through heart internet who presumably are one of your resellers.

I need to move the website from here to a site hosted in the US where now have a nice flashy site ready to go but want to keep the email here.

The US provider suggests the following message to my hosting provider:
    To: Your Domain Provider Technical Support
    Subject: How do I create a CNAME record?

I'm looking for a way to create a CNAME record that points my domain, [which I can't yet post!], to squarespace [again, can't yet post the domain]. Can I create this CNAME record using your service? If so, how? Please note that this is not the same as simple URL forwarding, as I require my domain's IP address to be the same as [squarespace domain] (and the CNAME record is the recommended way to do this).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Who do I need to do this with? Can I log into the nameservers and do this myself? Do you do it for me?

I also own the .co.uk for the domain it's currently pointed at the .com site, what do I need to do to point that to the squarespace site?

Thanks.

I saw this hasn't been answered yet, so I will hope it hasn't been answered elsewhere.

I wouldn't go with a CNAME record. I would just modify your A records for * and WWW to point to your new server IP. I'm not 100% sure about how the cPAnel servers are set up here, but it is as simple as logging into cPAnel and using the Simple DNS Editor.

As long as you only modify * and WWW you will be fine. As long as you still have mail.yourdomain.tld, you will still be able to access your mail server here. The * is for any subdomain requests (foo.yourdomain.tld) that don't have A records in the DNS Entry.

Comment

Hello,

Please PM me your domain name and CNAME record which you want to setup for your domain, so I will setup it for you.

Regards,
      Vasco S
      Support Team.

Comment

Thanks for the help, folks.

I've set up the domain name provider's DNS service to separate MX and web traffic and all seems to work ok.

Comment

Originally posted by virtuous View Post
          Thanks for the help, folks.

I've set up the domain name provider's DNS service to separate MX and web traffic and all seems to work ok.
          Nice to hear you got it fixed.
          Webhosting.UK.com || VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Comment

Working...
          X