X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Name Registration

Domain Name Registration

Domain name registration is a popular service offered by many web hosting providers and will allow you to register the domain name of your choice. When registering a domain you will need to choose the name of the domain you want, and the TLD (Top Level Domain) that you want your domain to be associated with; if we take 'domain.com' for example, your chosen name would be 'domain' whilst the TLD associated with the domain name would be '.com'. There are many TLDs to choose from with both country specific and international versions available; it is important to note that the registration of some country specific TLDs is limited to residents of the country concerned although such rules are down to the NIC/controller of the TLD concerned.

Domain name registration is ideal for anyone who is looking to start a website as it will allow them to choose a name relevant to the subject of their website and will allow them to enhance their online presence. It is important for you to make sure that you choose the right domain name during the registration process as once your registration request has been received, there is normally no way of adjusting the domain name that you have purchased. As your domain is going to be typed by your visitors so that they can visit your website it is important for you to follow a few guidelines when registering a domain name:
    • Keep it short - if you want your visitors to be able to type your domain name directly into their web browser then it is important for you to keep it short as there is nothing that they will hate more than a long website address, and by keeping it short you will always make it easier for them to remember your domain name
    • Choose the right TLD - TLDs are normally audience specific meaning that you should try to choose the domain TLD which best suits your website - i.e. if your website is aimed at an international audience then you may wish to consider a domain with a '.com' or '.net' TLD, but if you want to keep your website more localised by aiming it at a UK audience then you should consider a domain with a '.uk' TLD
    • Keep it relevant - it is also a good idea to keep your domain name relevant to the subject of your website as this will mean that people are more likely to visit your website if they are looking for something as they will be able to judge beforehand based on the name of your website - in some cases this may also help your website out in search engine rankings.

A domain name can be used with any web hosting package that you can purchase, and indeed it is always a good idea to use any domain names with a web hosting package so that you are able to make full use of the features that a domain name as to offer, and so you can make the most of your web hosting service.

Thank you for the useful information.

It is indeed necessary to keep a domain name short and if some of the keywords related to your website niche are in the domain name, it is certainly a benefit to you

Comment

Joshua,

Wonderful thread. Very infomative.

I wish I knew about this months ago. Unfortunately, a friend told me about this forum today.

I had a nightmare trying to find a website domain. I had a few Brandy glasses and spent the whole night thinking of some good names. Unfortunately, all the good names were gone so I had another drink.

I have also discovered recently the Google's free keyword tool which may have saved me the sleepless night. This Google tool plus your thread is the secret.

Comment

Thanks for the useful information. I also use the Google's keyword tool to get some ideas related to the niche I choose when I am looking for a domain name. Making good use of dictionaries sometimes helps also.

Comment

A informative post, just need to add in your information that you must including the website theme or its keyword which you are planning to get into it will add on an advantage to the website ranking the website will acheve and the traffic will also boost some or the other way.

Comment

Once you decide niche / keyword for your domain you can check if the required name is available, if not then you can use plural form / synonyms for the required domain name. Using a hyphenated domains should serve your purpose. There are thousands of keyword suggestion tool which you can use to decide keyword rich domain name.
            UK VPS Hosting || Managed Server Hosting || Reseller Hosting
            Webhosting affiliate program can make you earn upto 300 Webhosting UK Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
              Thank you for the useful information.

It is indeed necessary to keep a domain name short and if some of the keywords related to your website niche are in the domain name, it is certainly a benefit to you
              I agree. A short domain name has a huge benefit!! Keywords related to your site is undoubtedly an advantage!

Comment

Short domains are easier to memorize, although less likely to be available. A longer domain is harder to remember, but can contain more keywords.

Comment

It is highly important to get your domain name registered because your customers can then start relating to it and they will start getting detailed information on your products and services. A domain name will improve your business in several ways. This will also positively impact your search engine rankings as the search engines prefer the sites having their own domain name. Moreover you can also use the domain name in the email addresses and then you can have specific email addresses relating to several domains.
                  WHUK :: Reseller Hosting UKCloud Web Hosting UKDedicated Server Hosting UK
                  Follow us on social networks Facebook, Twitter and Google+

Comment

As your domain is going to be typed by your visitors so that they can visit your website it is important for you to follow a few guidelines when registering a domain name

Comment

Essentially you can include your main keyword in the domain name to get maximum benefits. This will enable you to get better search engine rankings.
                      Last edited by Mary; 11-11-11, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Along with having the main keyword in the domain name, it is also essential to do extensive promotion of your domain for getting the best results. This can be done through social bookmarking, blogging and article submissions. You can get backlinks to your website through these SEO strategies and thereby the rankings and importance of your domain name would improve.

Comment

excellence of content

Domain preferably should be short an easy to recall. It must not be confusing and must be relevant to purpose for which the domain was actually registered. Also focus on the content part as the searches today are more quality specific so excellence of content would give you an advantage.

Comment

Working...
                          X