Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the exact difference between Docker container and Virtual Machine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the exact difference between Docker container and Virtual Machine?

Hello,

I came across with various articles and posts about Docker containers, though I understood the basic application and operation of Docker, I am bit confused between Docker and Virtual machines. It would be great if someone tells me the difference between these two.

Thank you

A virtual machine (VM) is an operating system OS or application that is installed on software which reproduces dedicated hardware. In Virtual machine end user feel the same as they get into dedicated hardware. On the other hand container varies in its architecture, it contains applications and its dependencies as VMs but Kernels are shared equally with other containers. Docker containers can be run on any Computer or infrastructure.

Comment

There are various merits and demerits of these technologies, although containers are very nice with their technology, VMs are still choice of many. Here are few features that differ both of them
      1) Containers care many applications in company with a particular physical server compared to virtual machines.
      2) VMs need lots of resources associated to containers; containers can be simply run with OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
        There are various merits and demerits of these technologies, although containers are very nice with their technology, VMs are still choice of many. Here are few features that differ both of them
        1) Containers care many applications in company with a particular physical server compared to virtual machines.
        2) VMs need lots of resources associated to containers; containers can be simply run with OS.
        VM's have a complete OS with its own memory management deployed with the related overhead of virtual device drivers. In a VM, valuable resources are imitated for the guest hypervisor and Operating System which enables running instances of one or more than one operating systems laterally on a single host or machine.

Docker Containers are not executed with hypervisors but with its Docker engine. Virtual Machines are bigger than containers and therefore containers start up fast with better performance, greater compatibility and less isolation which is possible because of sharing of the hostís kernel.

Comment

Working...
        X