VPS down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPS down

What is it with this web hosting company! Why are the servers always dying????? Anyone care to enlighten me???? I can't take it anymore!!! Webhosting uk SORT OUT YOU ACT!!! PLEEEEEEASE!!!!!

Please provide me with your vps IP address so that I can keep the follow up with the vps team and get it sorted asap or you can also open a ticket with the respective department through our helpdesk http://www.webhosting.uk.com/support.php to get instant solutions to your issues.

Comment

Server is FINALLY up again (thanks tech support!)... but according to the server logs the server has been down since early yesterday afternoon which again just shows the incredible reliability that I was so hoping for when I signed up!

I mean, where is the 24x7 pro-active monitoring that I was promised???
      Of all people, I should know that downtime will occure and I accept that but there is reasonable downtime and ridiculous downtime and it's the rediculous downtime that just makes me dispair!!! It has been two months since I moved my customers over to you guys and all I have had in return is sleepless nights and loss of business! I can't wait to move elsewhere

Comment

Can you please provide me the ticket ID?

I'd like to go through the issue once.

Comment

James, ticket ID was: 268 submitted by my colleague.

Comment

Our vps support team was configuring backup on the main hardware node due to which the vps was down temporarily. In the backup process the vps stops the services and then start the backup process so that the server load is in control on the main hardware node.

Comment

Oh that's ok then (in a very sarcastic tone of voice!), I mean backups are important and all, I will agree but is that a good reason for the server to be unavailable for over 12 hours?!?!?!?!

I mean sure! Maintenance and backups are all essential tasks but have you ever considered notifying the customers affected that there will be scheduled downtime so that they have time to prepare??? How much does it cost you to send an email: less than 2 minutes of your time max!

Customers are paying you for an Uptime Guarantee of 99.95% according to your products detailed on this page http://www.webhosting.uk.com/vps-hosting.php and as a result they expect to have 99.95% uptime! If you actually do the maths you might find that 12 hours downtime breaks your promise!!!
              But then again none of you seem to actually care! The meaning of customer services let alone Good customer service seems to be term that is lacking from your companies policy....

Comment

Our vps support team was configuring backup on the main hardware node due to which the vps was down temporarily. In the backup process the vps stops the services and then start the backup process so that the server load is in control on the main hardware node.
                Nice to hear that your company takes backup of the VPS, and this is a good practice.

Oh that's ok then (in a very sarcastic tone of voice!), I mean backups are important and all, I will agree but is that a good reason for the server to be unavailable for over 12 hours?!?!?!?!
                As James mentioned that due to backup process some service processes got killed, and as you are having a VPS so you will have the complete root access to your VPS and you can start the services when they are Failed. Also those services killed only when they are taking higher resources and you should monitor your VPS resource consumption.

Comment

Well that is all very well and good [email protected], but when SSH is dead we can't get onto the server to start the processes again. This is our point. The whole server was down for around 15 hours. Totally unacceptable from a company claiming to offer 99.95% uptime and supposedly a managed VPS service.

If these guys had any idea about running a professional hosting company, they would as a minimum, at least ensure that customers can access the service they are paying for.

Comment

[email protected] , I never said backups were a bad thing!!! On the contrary! In fact if someone at WebhostingUK had bothered to send even the most basic of emails saying something along the lines of "Hey look, we have to back the server up, your sites may be down for 12 or so hours". You know what? I would have been absolutely fine with that! Why? Because I would have known exactly WHY the server was down and that it was for a very good reason and not because service was rubbish!

WebhostingUK, not knowing what is wrong when a server goes down is what makes customers panic and get angry. Tell them exactly what is going on and why and that way your customer will feel like you actually care about them. I know advanced notice is not always possible, but something like a backup is not a task that you decide to do one morning.

Anyway, enough time wasted, lets close this thread as I think we have all said enough.

Good night.

Comment

Working...
                    X