X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black-dog
    replied
    Originally posted by MrTWS View Post
    Filezilla is a really good FTP program and it is routinely upgraded as new changes are made. Sometimes if sites get hacked this can be down to poor password choices, and bad programming (especially if someone is using database connections within their sites) and the software or programming is a bit lapsed and leaves backdoors in

Hacking can be defined in different ways - so what do you mean by hacked?
    In this case, seeded with a load of hidden links.

The advice not to use Filezilla came from Alan V on WHUK support chat.

Leave a comment:

• MrTWS
    replied
    Filezilla is a really good FTP program and it is routinely upgraded as new changes are made. Sometimes if sites get hacked this can be down to poor password choices, and bad programming (especially if someone is using database connections within their sites) and the software or programming is a bit lapsed and leaves backdoors in

Hacking can be defined in different ways - so what do you mean by hacked?

Leave a comment:

• black-dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Hi Black-dog,

I have used Filezilla for many years; mainly across many Windows machines of both the client and server platform and I've never encountered any issues.

I'm strongly liaised with the lead developer of Filezilla, and have been for a while and I'm positive that there aren't any flaws out with the latest release of Filezilla.

There was an issue a while back with FP if I can recall it correctly. I'm unsure of the specifics but a quick forum search of Frontpage could bring it up.
    That's good because I like it as an ftp client. I'm more inclined to believe (hope) the issue is with Front Page. On my other VPS I have had FP extensions removed.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Hi Black-dog,

I have used Filezilla for many years; mainly across many Windows machines of both the client and server platform and I've never encountered any issues.

I'm strongly liaised with the lead developer of Filezilla, and have been for a while and I'm positive that there aren't any flaws out with the latest release of Filezilla.

There was an issue a while back with FP if I can recall it correctly. I'm unsure of the specifics but a quick forum search of Frontpage could bring it up.

Leave a comment:

• black-dog
    started a topic Hacked sites and Filezilla

Hacked sites and Filezilla

I've just been chatting to support about a number of domains on one of my VPSs that have been hacked. The support person recommended not using Filezilla.

I've done a quick check and can't find and major horror stories other than the fact that FZ apparently stores passwords in plain text in an XML file. I work alone and from home so this isn't really a problem for me.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Incidentally, support could offer no explanation as to how these domains had been hacked. My client does, despite my warnings, insist on using Front Page which I suspect may be a factor.
Working...
X