How do you keep your computer safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep your computer safe?

For starters, my computer is online for about 6-8hrs per day, so before I turn off my computer or when I start up my computer each day, this is what I do. Before closing my browser, after it has been running all day, I clear all records in my browser. I do a disk cleanup of my harddrive, this deletes temporary internet files, compressed old files, my recycle bin and other files that I do not need. I do a scan for spyware and adware with Ad-Aware 2007. Last but not least, I do regular virus scan with McAfee Security Center.

What about you guys, what do you do to keep your computer safe?

Originally posted by goodone View Post
    For starters, my computer is online for about 6-8hrs per day, so before I turn off my computer or when I start up my computer each day, this is what I do. Before closing my browser, after it has been running all day, I clear all records in my browser. I do a disk cleanup of my harddrive, this deletes temporary internet files, compressed old files, my recycle bin and other files that I do not need. I do a scan for spyware and adware with Ad-Aware 2007. Last but not least, I do regular virus scan with McAfee Security Center.

What about you guys, what do you do to keep your computer safe?

I'm using Ad-Watch and Nod32. Until now it's ok for me.

Comment

I sit behind a router and use Kerio Personal Firewall. After that there's anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. Also, I only accept 'plain text' email using Agent and delete any attachment that I'm not expecting or from a trusted source.

And I never let anyone else use my machine for anything.

This his kept me safe and secure for many, many years.

Comment

I don't have any protection believe it or not, vista does all that for me
        Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
        Support: 0800-612-8725
        International: +44 191 303 8191

Comment

Use FF browser. You will never need any sort of antivirus on your system.

I've got System Mechanics installed on my which cleans System Clutter on daily basis so performance of my system never degrades. Most of the windows desktop OS need to be reloaded every few months for better performance but System Mechanics is the best software you can have to keep your system tuned.
          Web Hosting UK - ASP MSSQL Hosting - cPanel Linux Hosting
          AIM : webredback || msn : andrew @ webhosting.uk.com
          Toll Free : 0808 262 0855

Comment

My high-spec gaming/vid editing system has no anti-virus, no anti-spyware and no firewall. It just sits behind a hardware firewall. I don't check email on it, I don't download anything except certified game/software/driver updates. Also a scheduled format and reimage every 12 months.

My normal-use computer has Avast! anti-virus and Comodo Firewall. Comodo 3 also has anti-spyware and system monitoring. Again its sat behind the hardware firewall as well. With a scheduled format and reimage every 6 months.

Comment

Admin just using FF is no guarantee that you are going to be safe. In fact that is a really insecure plan.

I try not to get too paranoid about security at home but I have an AV that runs once a day and I have personal firewalls on every machine plus an SPI firewall on the router. I'm too lazy to work hard at it. I'm not a big fan of clean installs either. I know people swear by them and in the past I've been a bit more proactive about performance but these days I find that the performance gain I get is offset by the amount of time I have to spend on it.
              homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto ... ( just Google it )

Comment

I have AVG on my home PC which is great and i have no problem using it.
                I always check for the reference before i download anytime from the net so as to prevent my comp to get infected.
                UK VPS Hosting || Managed Server Hosting || Reseller Hosting
                Webhosting affiliate program can make you earn upto 300 Webhosting UK Affiliate

Comment

I have a free McAfee Security Centre which I got because I am with Natwest. It only has a years free support so will have to think again soon. I also have the xp firewall activated and use mailwasher to view all my emails before I download any. I can then delete any that I don't want or have attachements I haven't asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by kev woodman View Post
                    Admin just using FF is no guarantee that you are going to be safe. In fact that is a really insecure plan.

I try not to get too paranoid about security at home but I have an AV that runs once a day and I have personal firewalls on every machine plus an SPI firewall on the router. I'm too lazy to work hard at it. I'm not a big fan of clean installs either. I know people swear by them and in the past I've been a bit more proactive about performance but these days I find that the performance gain I get is offset by the amount of time I have to spend on it.
                    I've not had any Virus on my system from last 4 years though my system stays online for over 12 hours a day. Mozilla Firefox will always give notifications before downloading any Virus and if you blindly click on Yes / No everytime then you are bound to download a virus.

Comment

Firefox gives notifications if you are going to download a virus? They keep that feature very quiet, sorry Admin but that's just not the case. And you don't have to actively download malware to get infected. Without AV checks how do you know you haven't been infected? Your system could be riddles with malware that you have no idea is there.

Comment

Originally posted by kev woodman View Post
                        Firefox gives notifications if you are going to download a virus? They keep that feature very quiet, sorry Admin but that's just not the case. And you don't have to actively download malware to get infected. Without AV checks how do you know you haven't been infected? Your system could be riddles with malware that you have no idea is there.
                        I scan my system occasionally and I've never found any Virus on my system. Its not that I visit only limited websites to stay away from any Virus. Firefox will never download anything in background, you have to say yes / no to download and install any virus or malware program.

Comment

Unfortunately as I said earlier you don't have to actively download malware to compromise your security and Firefox has flaws in the same way other browsers do. In fact the recent update was to fix a number of security issues.

Comment

I think hardening the system & network could be best proactive measure also especially for window the multitude of components which is never used should be eliminated that generally are more targeted for attack.

Comment

Hardware firewall

I'm in pretty much the same street as Administrator: I don't use antivirus or software firewalls at home.

At work we've got two big beefy hardware firewalls, McAfee virus checking, and I personally use Spybot S&D to keep my machine spyware free. The firewalls will cut off your internet connection if they notice any spyware activity from your PC, which is great.

Comment

Working...
                              X