Can anyone really stop spam 100%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone really stop spam 100%?

I've tried so many different ways to stop spam that I'm just about ready to give up!! I'm so fed up with spam that each time when I create a new email address I try not to give it out to anyone I don't know. Even when I don't give my email address to anyone I don't know, I still do recieve unknown emails from unknown persons.

What precautions do you take against spam? What's the best way to avoid spam? Is there anyone here who is not affected by spam?

Use munged email address that will appear like this; [email protected] hotmail.com

Why use it?

Most of the spambots program crawl around the web to search email address embedded in web page, when they find your email address through their bots as [email protected] your email address are being sold or circulated to unscrupulous spammers those looking for email add to send spam, if you will use [email protected] hotmail.com it will minimize the chances of your email address being harvested around web.

Comment

He didn't say it was in a webpage - I had hundreds of versions of email addresses peppered throughout my websites - mistake I now know. I am now trying to consolidate them. I use a Javascript to hid them now but I am sure that is old hat and easily broken.

However many spammers just guess a few names and send them out - most likely using a name generator or something. So you will NEVER be 100% spam free. And once your domain name is out there - forget it - spam city !!

I use a program called Mailwasher so I can check all my emails without actually opening them or downloading them, and delete those which are spam (or just unwanted !!) It does have a bounce facility but I don't use it as most of the reply email addresses are fake anyway.

I think you just have to accept it and not let it stress you - or you just might send yourself M A D D D D D D D

ps - just checked my freeserve email address and have 2786 emails in my Spam Box - I only cleared it last week !!

Comment

Afraid Cassie is right - it's just one of those facts of life. My Gmail account tend to be very good at spotting spam and my othre emails redirect to it so I pretty much just quickly check my spam box once o week for false positives and then junk everything.
        homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto ... ( just Google it )

Comment

Originally posted by kev woodman View Post
          Afraid Cassie is right - it's just one of those facts of life. My Gmail account tend to be very good at spotting spam and my othre emails redirect to it so I pretty much just quickly check my spam box once o week for false positives and then junk everything.
          Yes, also what I said that could be one of the reason how email address get propogated, I replied to OP assuming he has a site or he might be using email address in his signature in forums etc.
          Last edited by paul; 03-07-07, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Something to filter emails is a good idea. I use Opera's email client which has a spam filter that redirects to a spam box. Like kev woodman says it only takes a few seconds to check for rare false positives then junk the rest.
            ESPhotography | DFMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Falesh View Post
              Something to filter emails is a good idea. I use Opera's email client which has a spam filter that redirects to a spam box. Like kev woodman says it only takes a few seconds to check for rare false positives then junk the rest.
              Especially gmail filter is worsening, my 15 emails marked as spam by gmail those were my regular mails as per my mailing list. Few spammers even use text embedded images and easily bypass the gmail filters that appear in my inbox instead of spam box.

<o:p> </o:p>

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                text embedded images and easily bypass the gmail filters that appear in my inbox instead of spam box.
                That's odd, Opera catches all the image only ones.
                ESPhotography | DFMovies.com

Comment

Yeah and I can't remember the last time I had a piece of spam get through my Gmail filters. If anything I would have said that the filter has improved.
                  homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto ... ( just Google it )

Comment

Most of the spammers initiate dictionary attack on your domain name in which it keeps on making thousands of permutations and keeps sending emails on those email addresses expecting at least few to get delivered.

Most common email addresses are [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], tim, andy, james, john, paul, lol

their program receives delivery report for the email address to which email was successfully delivered and then it generates a database of genuine email addresses.

They sell this database to all online marketing companies and thats when you start getting all those medical advice spams.
                    Web Hosting UK - ASP MSSQL Hosting - cPanel Linux Hosting
                    AIM : webredback || msn : andrew @ webhosting.uk.com
                    Toll Free : 0808 262 0855

Comment

That I was not aware about dictionary attack, thanks for bringing it to my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                        That I was not aware about dictionary attack, thanks for bringing it to my knowledge.
                        Online marketing world is quite huge and this is not the only thing they do. They spend a lot in researching exploits for mass injection on websites and many more things to trap Millions of visitors.
                        Web Hosting UK - ASP MSSQL Hosting - cPanel Linux Hosting
                        AIM : webredback || msn : andrew @ webhosting.uk.com
                        Toll Free : 0808 262 0855

Comment

Embed images in emails using ColdFusion

Explanation for the Example:
                          file (CFMAILPARAM attribute) - This attaches a file to the email. This should be an absolute path where the actual file resides.
                          contentid (CFMAILPARAM attribute) - An unique identifier for the attached file. This is normally used to identify the file in the mail body that references the file content.

In the above example, we are using the “contentid” we provided in CFMAILPARAM tag as IMG tag cid which is the content id. Instead of providing the content id if we provide the path to the image file, then the image is sent as an attachment. Since we have used the content id, instead of being rendered as attachment, the content of the file with the id provided gets embedded into the email content. The CFMAILPARAM tag can also be used to include an image from an external link.
                          Advantage: It will not give an impression like phishing attack or spam email.
                          Disadvantage: It might take little more time to load the body of an email as we might have heavy images embedded.

Comment

Stupid spam
                            Web Design Services

Comment

Like many others i suffer with this spam problem.

Create a new e mail address and within hours In come the spam emails, even before telling anyone the address.

Most recently i have been receiving spam emails from......... MY e mail address!!!
                              My Crowdfunding Page https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/gbsaveonfashion-1

Comment

Working...
                              X