• php link + java?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to add a java popup window on a php link but it doesn't work:

Hyplink itself:
    Code:
    <a href="index.php?site=profile&amp;id='.getuserid($name).'">

Together:
    Code:
    <a href="javascript:popUpProfile('index.php?site=profile&amp;id='.getuserid($name).'"')">
    If I could remove -> ' <- in between the brackets it should be fine but without those and -> '.getuserid($name).'" <- either won't work.

A way to work around this?

Good afternoon,

I am confused, surely by putting the single quote characters around the getuserid function you are simply creating a string literal rather than invoking the function getuserid.

Now I am confused by what this function does, is it your own javascript function, or are you trying to invoke a php function serverside?

Bye

Ian
    Forums are about debating pleasantly not agreeing.

Comment

Hi Karimali,

echo "<a href=\"javascript:popUpProfile('index.php?site=pro file&amp;id=".getuserid($name)."')\">";
      The above should work fine.
      Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
      Support: 0800-612-8725
      International: +44 191 303 8191

Comment

Originally posted by IanSmithISA View Post
        Good afternoon,

I am confused, surely by putting the single quote characters around the getuserid function you are simply creating a string literal rather than invoking the function getuserid.

Now I am confused by what this function does, is it your own javascript function, or are you trying to invoke a php function serverside?

Bye

Ian

Code:
        '.getuserid($name).'"')"
        gets a unique ID number for a user. Not my code, I use a CMS.

Thanks Dan, I'll give it a try!

Comment

Sorry Dan I'm having problems putting the code you provided and this one together:

Code:
          <td><a href="?site=profile&amp;id='.getuserid($clan1).'" target="_top">'.$clan1.'</a></td>

Comment

Try this. I'm sure it will work.

[PHP]
            echo "<td><a href=\"?site=profile&amp;id=".getuserid($clan1)."\ " target=\"_top\">$clan1</a></td>";
            [/PHP]
            Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
            Support: 0800-612-8725
            International: +44 191 303 8191

Comment

Well that didn't work and this did work:

Code:
              echo "<td><a href="?site=profile&amp;id='.getuserid($clan1).'"\" target=\"_top\">'.$clan1.'</a></td>";
              It needed the quotes and I had to get rid of the backslash after the hypertext reference, but this still won't work with the java:

Code:
              echo "<td><a href="javascript:popUpProfile('?site=profile&amp;id='.getuserid($clan1).'"'\" target=\"_top\">'.$clan1.'</a></td>";
              Code:
              '.getuserid($clan1).'
              needs the single quotes aswell as the javalink which is causing the page to break.

Comment

Well I can't see how the first one would work. I'd have something like

[php]echo "<td><a href=\"?site=profile&amp;id=".getuserid($clan1)."\ " target=\"_top\">$clan1</a></td>";[/php]

PHP variables are expanded in double quotes but not in single quotes.

So to get rid of the escaped double quotes

[php]echo '<td><a href="?site=profile&amp;id='.getuserid($clan1).'" target="_top">'.$clan1.'</a></td>';[/php]

but this means escaping the single quotes in the Javascript (not Java - that's something completely different)

So my best effort would be:

[php] echo '<td><a href="javascript:popUpProfile(\'?site=profile&amp; id='.getuserid($clan1).'\')" target="_top">'.$clan1.'</a></td>';[/php]
                Last edited by black-dog; 10-12-09, 11:59 AM.
                black-dog
                4theweb.co.uk Web stuff
                slipperyhill.co.uk Band

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to you black-dog

Code:
                  javascript:popUpProfile(\'?site=profile&amp;id='.getuserid($clan1).'\')
                  worked perfectly!

thanks alot.

Comment

That's nice to know. It's easy to make a mistake when you are writing code when you can't test it and keeping track of braces and quotes, even with syntax highlighting, can be difficult.
                    black-dog
                    4theweb.co.uk Web stuff
                    slipperyhill.co.uk Band

Comment

Working...
                    X