Available script for new site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Available script for new site

Anyone have any opinions on what software i could use for a new site i am developing?
    Basically it is a Housing association tenants site.
    I want people to be able to add text and images to the site and also maybe allow the Housing association to be able to add their comments also.

I don't really want to spend the time creating and coding this site as i don't really have the time, and also i was hoping something may be already out there that i could utilize.

I have no experience with blogs but thought i would try one. i went for Wordpress as it has been recommended on this forum recently, but doesn't really suit what i need (unless some one with experience knows of plugins, widgets, etc that i could use?).

The other option would be a forum. This would actually be ideal in many ways, but i kinda need a page per tenants with an easy url, so that the tenants is able to direct their housing officer to their particular page.

Any ideas?
    If not i guess i will have to make the time....but as they say 'there is no point re-inventing the wheel#' if there is something already out there that can do the job.

Oh the site is : MagnaTenants.co.uk
    which is the wordpress. not really worth looking at though as the text and comments ar eonly really a test, but maybe it will help explain what i am after? Maybe the blog IS that i need, just need the correct plugins?

thx
    jon

Originally posted by jon123 View Post
    Anyone have any opinions on what software i could use for a new site i am developing?

Any ideas?
    If not i guess i will have to make the time....but as they say 'there is no point re-inventing the wheel#' if there is something already out there that can do the job.
    While open source CMSs can save a heck of a lot of time they are not without their learning curves. You'll need to invest some time finding out how they work and how to implement them. Wordpress will do what you want, but my gut feeling is that something like Joomla would be a bit closer.
    black-dog
    4theweb.co.uk Web stuff
    slipperyhill.co.uk Band

Comment

many thx, i'll have a look at joomla

Comment

If you have the necessary skills and time I would suggest creating one yourself. I tend to stay away from Joomla hosting now due to it's previous security flaws, although it has improved.
        Webhosting.UK.com || VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Comment

While there are mixed reviews as far as Joomla is concerned.. but we cannot deny the fact that Joomla fans are expanding more rapidly...

Majority of the security issues that come up with Joomla websites happen due to insecure or out of date third party extensions that are installed under Joomla or an out of date Joomla version itself. However, there are lots of security tips available to optimize your Joomla website. You are good until you follow them regularly.

Comment

thanks for all replies. I will try joomla this afternoon and see if it is suitable for my needs, i have a feeling though that i will need to create my own.
            I will report back.

thx again

Comment

thanks for all replies. I will try joomla this afternoon and see if it is suitable for my needs, i have a feeling though that i will need to create my own.
              I must point out that I've not actually used Joomla, just that it seemed to me a good way to get a highly featured site up and running quickly.

If it helps, I did a similar if somewhat simpler site from scratch. See: Trentdale Investments Limited - Properties to rent
              black-dog
              4theweb.co.uk Web stuff
              slipperyhill.co.uk Band

Comment

thx for the info.
                i created a cms about 3 years ago now with editable stylesheets, image uploads, etc, etc, but never took off!
                Then had problems with newer browser versions and decided to scrap it, as also as mentioned never received any interest (so never been repaired)
                demo web site
                Youc an see all the work i actually put into it if you click on 'edit configuration' and click on 'advanced'- took me ages.

if anyone tries it you will need to refresh the page after logging in, and maybe too after editing something,,,,, again a problem after newer browsers versions came about.

Maybe i will bring it upto date and make some changes if Joomla isn't suitable.
                Last edited by jon123; 20-05-09, 12:12 PM.

Comment

After taking a bit of time regarding Joomla, it does seem an incredibly advanced cms but as already been said, i would need ages to similiarize myself with it only to maybe find it isn't suitable.

Thanks for all your replies, really appeciated but i think i am going to create something simple to start with which will have registration etc, and then see where it takes me.

thx again

Comment

Hi Jon

Why not use your forum? Its already setup, and would allow greater flexibility for you

Comment

It is something I was thinkingabout, but I have a feeling it will be used for abuse to be honest. I know i could moderate it, but i think possibly it maybe quite an undertaking.

i appreciate your idea and i may actually give it a try! I suppose if it poses a problem I could then have a rethink

Comment

It is something I was thinkingabout, but I have a feeling it will be used for abuse to be honest. I know i could moderate it, but i think possibly it maybe quite an undertaking.

i appreciate your idea and i may actually give it a try! I suppose if it poses a problem I could then have a rethink
                        My advice would be to create a Forum Category and hold the topics that you want to be discussed there, and get a few good moderators on side to help watch out for fools
                        I don't know much about that type of forum software, as I use Web Wiz ASP Software for our forums, but as an administrator on my own forums, I can set up specifics to cut down on spam, unwanted posts, bad language, etc, etc

Comment

PS - I posted the link above for people who may be interested in different forum software as I'm not very good at php or whatever it is called

Comment

Working...
                          X