Best OS for dedicated servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best OS for dedicated servers

Which is the best OS for dedicated servers ? Which one will be more secure, stable and use less server resources.

Well, when it comes to operating system for a dedicated server, I would suggest you to choose CentOS operating system.

CentOS is an open source operating system and it is very easy to use in comparison to other Linux distributions. Also, CentOS is compatible with most of the applications and software's available which is certainly a great benefit.
    Cloud Shared Web Hosting UK | Dedicated Servers | Request Dedicated Server Hosting Quote
    Contest :: Refer and Win a FREE Domain and FREE Hosting

Comment

Good morning,

For a full answer I would suggest that you tell us a bit more about you web site.

For example if you have a lot of database access then any efficiency advantages in the OS can be squandered by the database.

MySQL, PostgresSQL and MS SQL Server do perform differently depending upon what you are doing.

There is limited advantage in having the OS stable and still running if you have a lot of program code, (PHP, VB.Net etc.) that is buggy and your site stops working.

As a contentious postulate, lets assume that a Linux based host is 20% more efficient. Buying more hardware to make up this difference is going to cost say an extra 30 pounds per month.

Unless you have an unlimited budget there is also the consideration of development costs for your site. I happen to believe that Dev Studio 2008/VB.Net/ASP.Net2 is the fastest and most efficient development environment. As this makes the site cheaper to develop you recover the increased hardware costs.

So if you have a complex site it may be ASP forces you onto Windows unless you want to try Mono.

Bye

Ian
      Forums are about debating pleasantly not agreeing.

Comment

Go with Garry9. Centos has the stability and long term life of redhat enterprise linux (RHEL) and you can achieve most of what you need straight from the centos distros.

Comment

Originally posted by vpsnoob View Post
          Which is the best OS for dedicated servers ? Which one will be more secure, stable and use less server resources.
          When coming to Linux, CentOS is a great server distro. Most of our users generally use CentOS. Of course there are users who use Ubuntu, RHEL, Debian, but mostly it is CentOS only.

Comment

There is also Ubuntu and Debian OS.. I guess they are free like centos?

Comment

Originally posted by Katie9 View Post
              There is also Ubuntu and Debian OS.. I guess they are free like centos?
              Yes, they are FREE to use and have GNU General Public License but if you are planning to use it (Ubuntu/Debian) as your Server OS then you won't be able to use WHM/cPanel control panel which is most popular hosting control panel.
              UK VPS Hosting || Managed Server Hosting || Reseller Hosting
              Webhosting affiliate program can make you earn upto 300 Webhosting UK Affiliate

Comment

Indeed they are. However please be advised Ubuntu and Debian aren't compatible with cPanel/WHM.

Comment

Centos 5

Centos 5 is fantastic and as of right now there are plans to support it well in to 2014. You can also download the software RAID if you need to.

Comment

If you don't need Windows.. go for CentOS. That's the best linux OS and very easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by SynapticG1 View Post
                      You can also download the software RAID if you need to.
                      Sorry, i didn't get above ? can you please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pongers View Post
                        Sorry, i didn't get above ? can you please elaborate.
                        I think (s)he (sorry not sure who has posted ) means that there are few distros of Linux which doesn't support RAID. CentOS supports RAID, you know better

Comment

Linux OS

I think Linux is so far the good OS.

Comment

In my opinion the type of operating system that you use does not make a lot of difference. The main aspect is that the web hosting company must provide you for prompt and efficient services for any operating system used. As long as you are with a good web hosting company, the operating system wont make much of difference.
                            WHUK :: Reseller Hosting UKCloud Web Hosting UKDedicated Server Hosting UK
                            Follow us on social networks Facebook, Twitter and Google+

Comment

Working...
                            X