Blade servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade servers

How are blade servers different from traditional rackmount servers?

Blade servers are cost-efficient, slim and less power-consuming servers as compared to the traditional rackmount servers. They are a hit for high performance computing. Blade servers are suitable especially for small and midsize businesses.
    Regards,
    webhostinguk-Sam

Comment

My company will need some sort of dedicated server layout soon. We are making an MMORPG, so need to able to handle lots of users and lots of data.

Comment

Originally posted by Neoki
        My company will need some sort of server layout soon. We are making an MMORPG, so need to able to handle lots of users and lots of data.

Are you sure your company will be able to manage that all by itself ???

Comment

Biiiiig project.

Depends on whether we are talking about a low complexity, text based MMORPG or the next WoW.

I know of a company local to me who have been developing one of the former and they are getting by with a relatively low spec rackmount. But they are having to strictly limit the user base and have still been in dev for about two years. Bandwidth and server loads are a constant headache.

If you're talking about the latter then presumably it's a pretty big outfit and I'm sure there should be a dedicated team for server development. I think I read an article on the 'net by one of the Second Life developers about the problems they had encountered and that might be an interesting read for you.

Knew I'd seen it somewhere

gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20030916/rosedale_pfv.htm

I would have thought blades vs rackmount serverare the least of your worries.
          homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto ... ( just Google it )

Comment

This is very good. The game is at " silvaniaisland.com "take a look.

Comment

Oops

Tried to have a look but just got a phpBB error after the splash page.
              homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto ... ( just Google it )

Comment

Working...
              X