Mailman questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailman questions

We have been having problems with mailman mailing lists on cpanel shared server, so some questions that may be of general interest:

Basically it seems that mailing list messages are a bit hit and miss, sometimes they take a week to arrive, other times straight away....

Of course there is a limit on mail messages per hour, looking at the documentation for mailman I get the idea that mailman itself handles splitting the mailing list into smaller chunks..., therefore there should be no need for end-user to split the mailing list into smaller chunks.

Can someone confirm that this is the case ?

I cannot locate where the mailing list archives are stored, it seems they are outside of the user account, so the archives are increasing in size, but can't be managed/deleted - is the space used included in the account quota, i.e. does it matter ?

Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by drgrumpy; 13-11-12, 11:36 AM. Reason: correction

Supplementary question:

How quickly are the archives updated with new post ?

Reason for asking is to find a way to check if messages have actually been received by mailman and so are queued for sending ?

Comment

The Mailman mailing list supports built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters, and many more.

The CPanel mailing list specific information is stored at:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists

You do not have access to this path on shared server . The quota of mailing list is not calculated under your cpanel user quota .

You have to use the url : http://yourdomain.com/mailman/admin , you'd need to login to your cPanel control panel first to view it.

For more detailed Information about mailing list go through the following URLs:

Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager

Mailing Lists

Comment

Originally posted by Tuks View Post
        The Mailman mailing list supports built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters, and many more.

The CPanel mailing list specific information is stored at:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists

You do not have access to this path on shared server . The quota of mailing list is not calculated under your cpanel user quota .

You have to use the url : http://yourdomain.com/mailman/admin , you'd need to login to your cPanel control panel first to view it.

For more detailed Information about mailing list go through the following URLs:

Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager

Mailing Lists

The quote above "The quota of mailing list is not calculated under your cpanel user quota" is not quite born out by the statistics, at least as far as disk usage is concerned.

From Control Panel --> Files --> Disk space usage I am informed that my disk space usage is 398.64MB of which I see that 165.51MB is allocated to Mailing lists. The allocation list below the table does not show this and states that my disk usage is 232.88MB

I have notice that the mailing list keeps rising and shot up yesterday because some-one posted a load of large attachements.

On checking Mailman I found that the 'Archive' had been set to 'Yes'; I have now changed this to 'No'.

So my question now is how do I delete the archives of the mailing lists. These are not needed and are taking up valuable space from my allocation of 500MB.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

David Floyd

Comment

Working...
        X