How do I reduce the CPU usage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I reduce the CPU usage ?

I have a website hosted with one of the other hosts whose been sending me email alerts stating the over use of resources on my account with them. But I don't really know what is the reason behind the over usage as it's just a small site that runs CentOS with 2 Gb RAM. I also use nginx as a webserver, the site runs on a WP (CMS) platform, receives not more than an average of 3000 visitors in a day, maybe if that could help.

Is there a way to reduce the CPU usage to any degree.

Originally posted by Riley View Post
    I have a website hosted with one of the other hosts whose been sending me email alerts stating the over use of resources on my account with them. But I don't really know what is the reason behind the over usage as it's just a small site that runs CentOS with 2 Gb RAM. I also use nginx as a webserver, the site runs on a WP (CMS) platform, receives not more than an average of 3000 visitors in a day, maybe if that could help.

Is there a way to reduce the CPU usage to any degree.
    Basically resources usage depends upon the content hosted on the server under your domain hosting account, as you mentioned you are using the WP (CMS) therefore try to optimize the database associated with the WP (CMS) as well as upgrade the WP (CMS), plugins to the latest stable version. You can also try to optimize the mysql service by using the MySQLTuner on your server but make sure that you have taken a backup for the my.cnf file before making any changes, if you are not sure or able to optimize the mysql service on your server, then please contact your host and ask them to optimize the mysql service on your server.
    Regards,
    George S

Comment

If you have to deal with the issue of high CPU usage, it is crucial to identify the reasons behind the increased CPU usage. This might be a difficult task, especially if you are working with the third party web applications like forums, blog systems or content management systems as you might not be having detailed information about the functioning of these systems.

However there are other things that can be implemented for reducing the CPU usage:
      • Upgrade all the third party web applications to the latest version available (including WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and any other content management system or blog systems, galleries, forums or any other scripts that are installed on your account)
      • Check if there are any add-ons or plugins used on your web applications, and make sure that they are upgraded to the latest versions as well
      • Perform a general check and make sure that any of the unused plugins, add-ons or web applications are removed
      • Any of the web applications that allow the ‘caching’ feature, should have this feature enabled or activated
      • In case you have developed your own scripts, try reducing the number of MySQL, MSSQL, Postgre SQL queries for optimizing your scripts so that they need less processing time
      • Also, it is important to check your server for any malicious scripts or spam.

These steps might help to reduce the CPU usage considerably.
      WHUK :: Reseller Hosting UKCloud Web Hosting UKDedicated Server Hosting UK
      Follow us on social networks Facebook, Twitter and Google+

Comment

Reduce the CPU Usage

causes for over usage of CPU resources are

3rd party addons in the form of plugins and themes that are inefficient

Codes which are outdated

Misconfiguration of PHP or configuration settings

You may try some of the following steps for optimization or CPU resources

Perform optimization steps if using a CMS or script

If having a popular content then generate a uniform HTML

Features similar to Ajax refreshes and searches consume high CPU so disable these features

Many popular scripts offer caching which has to be enabled

Comment

Working...
        X