CRON jobs through cPanel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRON jobs through cPanel

Are CRON jobs cPanel spesific, meaning is cPanel the only interface that you can use them through? Or are can they be used and maintained through any control panel?

Originally posted by PrinceTin View Post
    Are CRON jobs cPanel spesific, meaning is cPanel the only interface that you can use them through? Or are can they be used and maintained through any control panel?

Most of the control panel provide feature to add manage cron job.
    Common control panels like cPanel, Plesk and DotNetPanel have inbuilt cron job feature.
    WhUK-BrEnT

Comment

In UNIX/Linux OS " cron " is nothing but daemon to execute scheduled commands Or is a way of performing scheduled tasks.

Cron jobs allow you to automate certain commands or scripts on your server, saving your time and energy while doing same task repetitively.

For example, as we all know backing up your data is very important and this should be done at regular time interval.. repetitively..

So might become tedious job to do. But you can most certainly set a cronjob to automate this process .

As mentioned above " cron " is nothing but daemon to execute scheduled commands in UNIX/Linux based OS. So all the control panel supporting UNIX/Linux OS have provision to setup such cron jobs.

To name few control panels other then cPanel which supports " cron " jobs is Plesk, DotNetPanel .

Steps to setup " cron " may differ from one control panel to other, but the UNIX/Linux command remains the same..!

Comment

Control panels make it easy to use and set crons. As mentioned by Brent, all popular control panels include cron jobs.

Comment

Thanks for the quick explanation! I am not as familiar with Plesk or DotNetPanel, so I was not sure if it was specific to cPanel, but this does clear that up for me.

Comment

Guys can you please tell me what type of jobs can a CRON can perform, can any one give me an eg -
            or can any one give me some briefing for the same.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky123 View Post
              Guys can you please tell me what type of jobs can a CRON can perform, can any one give me an eg -
              or can any one give me some briefing for the same.
              Cron is the name of program that enables unix users to execute commands or scripts (groups of commands) automatically at a specified time/date. It is normally used for system admin commands.
              like. running a backup script or can be used for any similar task.

Comment

Cron Job allows tasks to be automatically run in the background at regular intervals by the cron daemon. Crontab is a file which contains the schedule of cron entries to be run and at specified times. By default cron jobs sends a email to the user account executing the cronjob.

A crontab file has five fields for specifying day , date and time followed by the command to be run at that interval.

* * * * * command to be executed
                - - - - -
                | | | | |
                | | | | +----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0)
                | | | +------- month (1 - 12)
                | | +--------- day of month (1 - 31)
                | +----------- hour (0 - 23)
                +------------- min (0 - 59)

A line in crontab file like below removes the tmp files from /home/username/tmp each day at 6:30 PM.

30 18 * * * rm /home/username/tmp/*
                Priscilla,
                WHUK VPS Supp0rt.

Comment

Working...
                X