Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between cookies and sessions

Hey,

Could you please describe the differences between cookies and sessions? Since I've used a script that informs visitors to accept cookies on their browser, I'd like to stop this function, but I'm not sure if it will conflict with the session.

Hello,

Sessions are similar to cookies in that they are closed and erased from your web browser when you close it or visit another website. Session IDs are only used to identify a visitor once during a single visit.

When cookies have a longer life and are used to store data (for example, what products you have put to your shopping cart) for a set period of time. Some cookies are deleted when you close your web browser, while others are kept for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post
      Hey,

Could you please describe the differences between cookies and sessions? Since I've used a script that informs visitors to accept cookies on their browser, I'd like to stop this function, but I'm not sure if it will conflict with the session.
      • The server generally generates and maintains sessions on which the client relies for smooth communication. The same set of session data is used for the same connection, which is critical to safeguard because hijacking the session can simply allow the attacker access once the session is permitted.
      • Cookies are little pieces of information that are kept on your browser and are used by the programme to store user preferences and information [such as language preferences, urls, and so on]. So this is largely to collect personal preferences and then process them by the programme to operate their decision-making engine and present customised information.

Comment

Hey,

I've included a little description to assist you know the distinction between the two.

Cookies- just a limited amount of data is kept.
        Sessions- a limitless quantity of data can be kept in a single session.

Cookies have a longer shelf life.
        Sessions are temporary and will terminate when the browser is closed.

Cookies are files that are saved in the user's browser.
        Sessions are immediately saved on the server.

Comment

Hey,

The main differentiation between a session and a cookie is that session data is stored on the server, whereas cookies are stored in the visitor's browser. Because it is saved on the server, a session is more secure than a cookie. Cookies can be disabled in the browser.

Comment

Hello,

A session saves the variables and their values in a file in the server's temporary directory. Cookies are text files that are saved on the user's computer.
            When the user logs out of the application or shuts his web browser, the session ends. Cookies expire after the user-specified lifetime. It can hold an indefinite quantity of data. It can only store a certain amount of info.

We can save as much data as we want within a session, however there is a maximum memory restriction of 128 MB that a script can consume at one time. The browser's cookies have a maximum capacity of 4 KB.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden View Post
              Hey,

The difference between a session and a cookie is that session data is kept on the server, whereas cookies are stored in the visitor's browser. Sessions are more secure than cookies because they are stored on the server.

Comment

Working...
              X