Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the exact purpose of using XML

Hello

As I've heard plenty of things about it, but had never checked it really. What exactly XML stands for, & what are there actual benefits to it such that user can recalculate there mind and start using it.

Thanks in advance.

XML is consist as a extensible markup language. There are several benefits of XML such as plain file that come to file extensibility and data hierarchy. Even you can also use XML for data storage, it's intent is not made for that, as it is made for data exchange, like common language that two specific systems understand. Managing a large amount of data with XML is quite easy. It allows the users to use their own markup tags. It is mainly used for exchanging data.
    For an example, <users><user><name>user A</name><email>email</email></user></users>

Comment

Hi, i just need to add few points like you can also create RSS feeds. If you have any kind of news or updates categories in your website which is good to include a feed link.
      On the other hand creation of RSS is really easy.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky123 View Post
        XML is consist as a extensible markup language. There are several benefits of XML such as plain file that come to file extensibility and data hierarchy. Even you can also use XML for data storage, it's intent is not made for that, as it is made for data exchange, like common language that two specific systems understand. Managing a large amount of data with XML is quite easy. It allows the users to use their own markup tags. It is mainly used for exchanging data.
        For an example, <users><user><name>user A</name><email>email</email></user></users>
        i was about to start learning XML this info adds to my source good write
        SEO services

Comment

Xslt

Also take a look at XSLT. Its a very handy way of pulling data out of XML, its lightweight and extremely powerful.

One other point about XML, its completely platform independent so you can interact with systems on completely different platforms.

Take a web service for example, the data could be being stored on a system you cannot interact with. Once they make a web service available (which will give you XML) the data is then consumable by any system capabable of connecting and processing the XML.

Comment

Now a days there are new xml formats as well. There are mobile-xml site maps as well do exist , which are being used by many of the third party application.

Comment

I would like to add some more advantages of using XML :-
              - It is similar and easy as HTML.
              - XML is fully compatible with applications like JAVA.
              - It is a platform independent language.
              - You can create your own tags or use the tags which have already been created and you are not limited to a standard set of tags.
              - It can be used for information exchange.
              - It overcomes all the limitations of HTML.
              - Mainly the search engines can easily parse through the data using the tags and locate the required data and hence it is easy to search the data which is nowadays a very crucial point.

Comment

Originally posted by WSMITH View Post
                Hello

As I've heard plenty of things about it, but had never checked it really. What exactly XML stands for, & what are there actual benefits to it such that user can recalculate there mind and start using it.

Thanks in advance.
                There are multiple benefits of XML such as plain file that and when it comes to file extensibility and data hierarchy. If you can also use XML for the data storage, it's is not made for that, as it is made for data exchange, like common language that two specific systems understand. Managing a large amount of data with XML is quite easy.

Comment

XML namespaces help contextualize elements in an attribute, among other things. It also offers a precise identification for a particular element or attribute. It is the way of communication between different technologies across applications.

Comment

Working...
                  X