Darker Side Of Wordpress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darker Side Of Wordpress

Today most of the web users prefer "Wordpress" as an open source Content Management System (CMS). It is mainly used for blog publication as it is the most popular blog publishing application.

One of the key secret of the Wordpress success is Its user friendly interface to manage it yourself and the most important it is FREE. But as there are always pros and cons and it need to be looked at here. Many of us would have already faced and discussed it earlier. Lets have a look at the darker side of "Wordpress use".

Bad HTML Practices — Clean HTML codes are very important for the performance of the website and function of your site purely depend on it, not to mention how Google looks at your site.

HTML Formatting — As of now the free themes out there haven’t taken into consideration the formatting of text used in the coding of the website. Most of them have a bizzare way of handling bullet lists, <code> blocks and blockquotes.

Enable Widget— Widgets are the blocks which are are dynamically created of code that usually appear in the sidebars of your Website. They make it possible to add polls, list recent comments, place ads, etc. If these Widget aren't enabled then you lose out on these features and if you want anything in your sidebars you have modify your theme’s php files directly (which we don’t want to have to do).

Incomplete Header and Footer Templates — If your theme doesn’t have complete footer and header templates then many plugins won’t work. Case in point, I had to modify a theme last month so that the Google Analyticator plugin would actually work. Google Analyticator is great but the theme was missing some required code for it to put my tracking code at the footer of the site.

Bad SEO Practices — One of the most important aspect of marketing a website online is SEO . Majority free WordPress themes violate every rule of SEO . For Google to index your site properly you should have exactly 1 unique h1 tag per page and unique h2 tags for sub titles.

No Comment At All — Some of really beautifully designed free themes I have seen and found that comments didn’t appear anywhere. A surprising number of WordPress Themes we installed still don’t support Comments AT ALL!?

Comments Not Enabled on Pages — Few themes show comments while Posting a commenting but some don’t allow the option of Comments on Pages. Even if the box is checked to “Allow Comments” on the Discussion tab when editing a page — these themes won’t show them.

Too Much Javascript Loading — Some WordPress themes love to load every Javascript library in existence and implement a ton of unnecessary Javascript. This can make your site sluggish or downright slow.

HI Rocky ,

I think there are also positive stuff as well for wp which i am witting below .

1. Its Free -
    2. Survive Traffic Spikes –
    3. Spam is No Problem –
    4. Automatic Backups –
    5. Free Support –
    6. Preview New WordPress Features –
    7. Blogging Simplified
    8. It’s That Easy
    9. Do It Yourself
    10. Climb the Search Results

Comment

I also think that it is a great place to get someone started. I have a couple of friends who have never web hosted or had a site. I think starting off with a blog is good for learning on.

Comment

@ MillenniumF :- I believe in Knowledge sharing and it's one of the best thing we can do. So please do ask the question if you have with you , you can also take the initiatives to do or can start a new query you have with you .

Comment

Rocky, do you have any personal experience for all your comments about wordpress.
          For eg
          Bad SEO Practices — One of the most important aspect of marketing a website online is SEO . Majority free WordPress themes violate every rule of SEO . For Google to index your site properly you should have exactly 1 unique h1 tag per page and unique h2 tags for sub titles.
          Not sure if am correct but i haven't came across any theme where you can have multiple H1 ot h2 tags by default.
          Do you have any such theme for reference ?

Comment

I too don't have any bad experience with the wordpress till date as Wordpress is one of the most popular and commonly used for website designs. This has many features which is user friendly. The navigations are simple and easy to operate.

But i too agree with { One of the most important aspect of marketing a website online is SEO . Majority free WordPress themes violate every rule of SEO } some of the free wordpress website i have seen are not that well optimized as per seo techniques we have to use to rank at the best position with in the search engines

Comment

Working...
            X