No announcement yet.

Upgrade the forum to Invision Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah I haven't got time to go registering on forums.

I know my mind exists - but I can't be sure about anyone elses.
    homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto ... ( just Google it )

Comment

What is the mind then? I know the brain exists, but the mind?

And come on, it only takes a minute to register on another forum.

Comment

For what it's worth I'd say that mind, in this context, is a term we use to describe what we percieve as our higher brain functions, e.g. our ability to reason, to empathise and to be conscious. It is what we see as maikng us distinct from other humans, from machines and from other animals. I'd also argue that it is really just an offshoot of our particularly complex brains - a purely mechanical construct that would be replicated, in some form, in any sufficiently complex system.

Fair enough it doesn't take long to register on a forum - I shouldn't have said that I haven't got time. Really I just can't be arsed

Comment

Whatever.

And to what you said about the mind, read this:
          " sheldonfreeassociation.blogspot.com/2006/01/szasz-in-one-lesson.html "

Comment

Quite an interesting blog post on the way we view mental illness. Not sure what it has to do with philosophical concepts of mind or consciousness but interesting none the less.

Comment

^_^

Glad you looked at it!

If you want to know a bit more, read this: <b> psychclassics.yorku.ca/Szasz/myth.htm </b>

What I gave to you was just a summary. This is the real thing.

And by the way, about your previous post, I hope you know what Philosophy means...

Comment

Read that. Can't say I'm that swayed by by Szasz' arguements but I can see why fruitcake Scientologists like him. I'm pretty comfortable with a definition of philosophy, and questions about how we know who/what we are and the nature of reality are philosophical questions, not psychological ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Panarchy View Post
                  Have you tried going to a invision board forum registering and looking at the features?

Ones with good themes are thevistageeks.org and winbetasecrets.com and viennaforum.net
                  First one doesn't work, second one looks ok but I've seen similar vb and phpbb themes and the third one IS phpBB.

I'm still not convinced that simply being invision would make more people sign up.

Comment

More people will sign up only if you bring more traffic to your invision board. Vbulletin and phpBB are more friendly to search engines and that brings more people to forum.

So if you get invision then the visitors will reduce so I am not sure how we can have more people sign up if visitors reduce.
                    Web Hosting UK - ASP MSSQL Hosting - cPanel Linux Hosting
                    AIM : webredback || msn : andrew @ webhosting.uk.com
                    Toll Free : 0808 262 0855

Comment

Building a community is not easy task, it takes real work, the most important aspects I look for providing quality content to users and work at thread participation and bring activities in forum. VBulletin is enough features; I don't think it is precise to shift to any other software.

Comment

I only suggested invision boards because those are the boards that I go on. I think that there are many that do just as good a job as Inivision Boards. The reason I suggested to upgrade this board is because this board isn't getting many members and other boards that I am a member of like joejoe.org has just reached 6000!

And Kev, let's discuss this on an IRC channel.

Comment

If only I had the time, but work deadlines loom ever closer and I've recently had to stop visiting the couple of channels I enjoy because I'm distracted too easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Panarchy View Post
                            The reason I suggested to upgrade this board is because this board isn't getting many members and other boards that I am a member of like joejoe.org has just reached 6000!
                            That's not always a good measure of what makes a good forum.
                            This one is aimed at people who have their sites hosted with this company, and it's only been open for 6 months. It's not a worldwide forum discussing big subjects like winXP or ipods or whatever.

Forums are about content, not the software they run on.

Comment

Panarchy,

Wait till the end of this year. You will see completely different picture before the end of this year. We are promoting our hosting services as well as our forum and we've had decent success so far.

We have mindset of not getting satisfied with any level of growth and we wont stop our promotional campaign as long as we have confidence of managing support for any volume of signups.

We've had 800 members in 6 months so its not difficult to have more than 6000 in next 2 - 3 years.
                              Web Hosting UK - ASP MSSQL Hosting - cPanel Linux Hosting
                              AIM : webredback || msn : andrew @ webhosting.uk.com
                              Toll Free : 0808 262 0855

Comment

Well said both.

Comment

Working...
                                X