Setting up Raid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Raid.

Is it possible to add an additional drive on a existing server and set it as a RAID server? One of my friends do not want to switch the server for some reason but need RAID now.

Hello Ron,

Please help us with the email address your friend used for registration so we can lookup and accordingly inform you.
    We need to first check if your existing server can be tweaked.

Regards,
    Leon B

Comment

It's not possible to configure a RAID by adding a new drive on a live server. Simply adding a new drive doesn't mean it could be backed by RAID. A RAID controller is also required and should be supported on the motherboard. Your best choice would be to consider a new server.. almost all new servers hardware have RAID as a default now.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I was aware of this but need to reconfirm it from experts
        Dear Leon, my friend is having is hardware housed in German Datacenter not with WebhostingUK Sorry !

Comment

Feel free to contact us anytime if you have any further questions.
          You can also initiate a live chat from our website.

Comment

I wonder why many users are switching to RAID based servers? Does it mean single HDD servers must not be used.

Comment

Yes it is recommended to use RAID instead of single HDD.

In simple words, RAID is a backup system in which an additional hard drive is attached with the server which carries all the data on the disk. It is a data storage technology where multiple disks are used for data redundancy and improving server performance. This is helpful when the drive has issues, if in case one of the HDD fails the other drives gets live and starts behaving as primary HDD So that you do not face any downtime in case of HDD fail.

Comment

With a single HDD you are at a risk of HDD failure and thereby losing all the data. It is always better to have more than one disk disk with RAID configured.

Comment

Almost all latest server hardware now have RAID as an default feature which ensure you the utmost data security. If you are still using single drive server then it's the time to consider upgrading the hardware to a RAID based server.

Comment

I remember 2 years back when we used a dual core processor where we decided not to choose RAID. We had an data loss due to the single HDD failure and we lost all of the data. Some users luckily had their own backups on their workstations but not very recent. It was a nightmare for us. Since then we have always decided not to use any server without RAID.

Comment

It is also very important to check the type of RAID that suits your requirement based on the number of drives and functionality. This is helpful when the drive has issues, if in case one of the HDD fails the other drives gets live and starts behaving as primary HDD So that you do not face any downtime in case of HDD fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Horatio View Post
                        It is also very important to check the type of RAID that suits your requirement based on the number of drives and functionality. This is helpful when the drive has issues, if in case one of the HDD fails the other drives gets live and starts behaving as primary HDD So that you do not face any downtime in case of HDD fail.
                        Can you explain to me here about the different types of RAID you are referring to and how we can choose the best?

Comment

The point of RAID 1 is primarily for redundancy. If you completely lose a drive, you can still stay up and running off the additional drive.

Comment

I wonder why many users are switching to RAID based servers?

stream videos

Comment

Working...
                            X