No announcement yet.

Dedicated or Shared IP address hosting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated or Shared IP address hosting.

Is it a good idea to have a dedicated ip for the website ? Is there any harm using shared ip ?

I have used shared IP for years. I personally don't see any difference. But I think some specific websites need to use dedicated ip. When you carry secure transactions on your website then your website need dedicated IP.

Comment

If you have an e-commerce web site and you accept payments and carry secure transactions on your web site through payment gateways, you need a SSL for your website. It is then mandatory to have a Dedicated IP address for the website to install SSL.

Other than this, mostly a shared IP is just fine.

Comment

Thank you for replying.. if I change IP for a domain from shared to dedicated will there be any downtime?

Comment

Originally posted by Helina View Post
          Thank you for replying.. if I change IP for a domain from shared to dedicated will there be any downtime?
          If you choose a Dedicated IP address for your domain name, our technical support dept will assign the IP address to your domain name after you place an order for it. Once this is done, the site will face some downtime as the IP propagation will take some time. Generally, the IP propagation does not take more than 3-4 hours.

Comment

Working...
          X