Anonymous Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonymous Owner

What do you think about having a fictitious name when registering a website? I'm not trying to hide anything but I'm curious if I could be anonymous on my own website.

Sure, you can be anonymous on your own website - however all billing and contact details will need to be accurate.
    Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
    Support: 0800-612-8725
    International: +44 191 303 8191

Comment

Yeah, there's no problem of being an anonymous on your website but it's not recommended if you are dealing online or have a business websites !!!
      UK VPS Hosting || Managed Server Hosting || Reseller Hosting
      Webhosting affiliate program can make you earn upto 300 Webhosting UK Affiliate

Comment

Can it really be done, and how does it work? I notice when I register a domain name on a registrar, I have to give my actual billing and contact details like what Dan said.

Comment

Well, if you really want to hide your WHO IS information you will have to purchase Whois Privacy Protect Service. It's also called as 'ID Protect' or 'Whois Privacy' You need to pay extra on top of domain registration cost for Domain ID protect.
          UK VPS Hosting || Managed Server Hosting || Reseller Hosting
          Webhosting affiliate program can make you earn upto 300 Webhosting UK Affiliate

Comment

some of my domains were registered as "none" for some reason while i was using 123-reg. Wasn't anything I did at my end but Nominet soon caught up and told me i have 30 days to give my full name or they would take down my sites.

They are getting stricter too as they told me that 2 of my sites were advertising other websites so they has to be registered as business domains and not allowed the opt-out.

Comment

Honestly, when you're in business, hiding the whois for your domain name might not be a good idea. Some customers do not want to business with vendors who hide their contact info.

Comment

So what kind of websites does the owner try to be anonymous? I think shady websites almost always have anonymous owner. I agree that clients like to see real information about the owner of the website if this is a business.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel View Post
                  Honestly, when you're in business, hiding the whois for your domain name might not be a good idea. Some customers do not want to business with vendors who hide their contact info.
                  It's true. For business reasons, it is advisable to reveals your personal information as much as you still feel appropriate, to gain more trust from your potential buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                    Well, if you really want to hide your WHO IS information you will have to purchase Whois Privacy Protect Service. It's also called as 'ID Protect' or 'Whois Privacy' You need to pay extra on top of domain registration cost for Domain ID protect.
                    How much does this cost per domain.
                    I already own a website where my details were hidden from the Who Is and my host did not charge me extra.

Also,1st post here,been reading for a while,got the link off phpbb.com.
                    Got loads of questions to ask soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Only me View Post
                      How much does this cost per domain.
                      I already own a website where my details were hidden from the Who Is and my host did not charge me extra.

Also,1st post here,been reading for a while,got the link off phpbb.com.
                      Got loads of questions to ask soon.
                      If you choose a .com, .net, .org domain name, you need to pay 7.00 GBP per year for ID protect, however, if you choose a .co.uk, .org.uk domain name, ID protect is offered for free

Sure, you can post the questions you have regarding our hosting services here.
                      Cloud Shared Web Hosting UK | Dedicated Servers | Request Dedicated Server Hosting Quote
                      Contest :: Refer and Win a FREE Domain and FREE Hosting

Comment

That intrigues me why extension names with .uk is free. Is ID protect free only with .uk or as long as the website is localized? Will the client pay WhoIs or the web hosting company for the ID protect?

Comment

The ID protect, also known as whois opt out is free with .uk domain names, only if the domains registrant type is "Individual". Whereas, in case of other registrant type, you won't be able to Opt out your whois information for .uk domain names.

If you are the registrant and a non-trading individual, you can log into your Nominet online account and select the opt-out button on the Account Summary page to hide the email address and the registrant address. Either way, you can also ask your domain registrar to get the domain whois opt out.

The ID protect fees are to be paid to the domain registration service provider.

Comment

Thanks for that explanation. However, I want to inquire about the other domain extensions like .ca or .in. Is the free ID Protect only available for .uk domain extensions?

Comment

Thanks for the answer,ok another one.
                              I want the .com of my site which is available,i have gone through the buying of it on your front page without obviously buying it.
                              And i noticed the option of the nameserver thing.

What i would want for the .com domain is for it either...
                              To be just bought so i own it...
                              Or have it sent to my co.uk site.

How much would it be for the traffic to be sent to my co.uk site?

For the record i will sometime next year look to have at least a semi dedi account with you where my site and others i will be doing put into one account/server as such.

Comment

Working...
                              X