Best List of Search Engines and Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best List of Search Engines and Directories

I found a very important list of web directory's that will help to market your blog or websites online .

1 Google
    The favorite search engine of most web surfers accounting for the majority of searches performed on the web.

2 Yahoo!
    The Yahoo! Search Engine along with the trusted Yahoo! Directory (see below) were once the darling of the internet. They have now lost most of their shine.

3 Bing
    BingMicrosoft's Live Search Engine is now known as Bing with supposedly an improved algorithm. People have loved it's background images. Check the Bing usage statistics

4 Yandex
    Russian Search engine and ranks very high as per Alexa.

5 Go.com
    Go.comGo.com offers a searchable directory, news stocks, sports and free email along with a web search engine.

6 Ask
    Still has a loyal following though its user base is gradually decreasing.

7 Sohu
    Another Chinese search engine.

8 AOL
    The web search on the AOL pages is now powered by Google.

9 Technorati
    Technorati prides itself as the search engine for blogs.

10 Lycos
    Lycos Powered by Ask.

11 AltaVista
    The mighty Altavista Search Engine is now based on Yahoo!

12 Dogpile
    A metasearch engine owned by InfoSpace, Inc.

13 Baidu
    One of Favorite search engine of the Chinese.

14 Excite
    A metasearch engine which is a part of the Excite web portal.

15 Infospace
    The owner of Dogpile search engine.

16 AlltheWeb
    AlltheWebYahoo!'s technology is now behind the Alltheweb search engine.

17 Kosmix
    KosmixA great search engine that collates information into topic pages.

18 Cuil
    CuilCuil organizes web pages based on the information they carry.

19 DuckDuckGo
    DuckDuckGo takes advantage of content from sites such as Wikipedia to improve the relevance of the search results.

20 Mamma
    MammaOne of the web's first tier 2 metasearch engines.

21 Melzoo
    MelzooMelzoo is a Meta search engine that gives "visual previews" of the search results translating into a 'much better user experience' (?). The SERP is split into two panes; the left has the list of results generated by the query while the the one on the right shows a snapshot of the page when one mouse-over the result.

22 Yebol
    YebolYebol is based on a knowlegde-based sematic search platform.

23 Open Directory Project
    Open Directory ProjectInternet's favorite web directory owned by Netscape (AOL).

24 AboutUs.org
    AboutUs.orgAboutUs.org lists web sites with details on the information they carry. It allows internet users to add and modify entries.

25 Business.com
    Business.comBusiness.com combines a search engine and a web directory.

26 Yahoo! Directory
    Yahoo! DirectoryThe web's oldest directory!

27 Best of the web
    Best of the webA commercial web directory categorizing web sites by topic and region.

I hope this will defiantly help you for your websites.

This list is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't even know about half of the search engines on this list. I've tried Google, Yahoo!, bing Ask and Duckduckgo so far. I'll give the others a try.

Comment

That's a great list. I used to use Altavista in the past. What happened after Google bought it? I just visited the website and it looked so simple as Google does.

Comment

I think I've read it was Yahoo! that bought Altavista, not Google. At first Altavista and Alltheweb were purchased by Overture , and later Yahoo! purchased Overture.

Comment

DMOZ is another directory. I'm not sure of its importance today, but a few years ago, it was considered one of the best directories to which you could submit your website.

Comment

Dogpile used to be really good, but I have to admit I haven't gone to any of the other search engines in years except for Google and sometimes Yahoo.

Comment

That's definitely a comprehensive list! So thanks for that. I've got to say that I am a one search engine man and Google always does the job for me so I'm glad to see that it is top of your list .

Comment

Working...
              X