Linux Foundation Chief says Microsoft is "still up to the same old stuff"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation Chief says Microsoft is "still up to the same old stuff"

Linux Foundation Chief says Microsoft is "still up the same old stuff" in regards to patent litigation against Linux-based technologies and probably with its position on Linux in general.

Speaking during a keynote address at the LinuxCon conference earlier this week, Zemlin took the opportunity to ridicule Microsoft and point out that it was pretty much his job to do so. Zemlin’s presentation included a slide deck full of Microsoft quotes about Linux, according to InfoWorld. Steve Ballmer’s “Linux is a cancer” remark and Craig Mundie’s Linux wouldn’t be “successful in building a mass market and making powerful, easy-to-use software broadly accessible to consumers,” both featured in a set of remarks from Microsoft officials.
    What's most interesting about this article is this:

Zemlin also criticized Microsoft for using its patent portfolio against Linux-based technologies like Android.
    If they're targeting Google for patent royalties then I'd agree; but if they're targeting manufacturers then I'm not sure. Manufacturers are making money from using Microsoft patented technology or concepts in Android as so in this case I think in a lot of cases (depending on what the patent is about - as there are some really stupid patents out there) is fair to get royalties from manufacturers, just as if Android was proprietary. If it was to get patent royalties from, say, Canoncial with Ubuntu, then that would be completely unfair because Ubuntu is free software for everyone to use.

What do you think?

Article URL: Linux Foundation chief claims Microsoft is “still up to the same old stuff”
    Last edited by Ben Stones; 19-08-11, 11:13 AM.

I don't think you should be able to patent basic technologies. To me, it's akin to patenting an idea and I don't think you can do that, nor should you. Patents should be given for applications based on a technology, but not the broader technology itself.

Comment

This makes me want to use Linux instead of Windows. Here's how I see it: It would be like giving a writer a patent/copyright for writing mysteries. It's the individual work that's developed from a concept that deserves protection.

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
        I don't think you should be able to patent basic technologies. To me, it's akin to patenting an idea and I don't think you can do that, nor should you. Patents should be given for applications based on a technology, but not the broader technology itself.
        Well that's not really completely the fault of companies taking advantage of such an old patent system that means really basic technologies in the software world can be patented but its at least partly the fault of the US government for not updating patent law that fits to what people and most companies want really. There are many companies that survive quite well especially in the US on royalties collected from patents such company owns (but nevertheless other countries too - including Europe). There's plenty of patent holding companies that rely on patent royalties as their sole source of revenue. For example, a tech blog pointed out that a company called Wi-LAN in Canada stopped product manufacturing and most likely has a main business focus on licensing intellectual property which is a good revenue stream: Apple Faces New Patent Lawsuits from Openwave, Wi-LAN - Mac Rumors.

Comment

Working...
        X