Windows 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7?

I wonder if anyone has tried the Windows 7 candidate release.

I have pre ordered Windows 7 with Amazon, as I am just sick of the sudden problems that crop up with My Vista home premium 64 bit, some problems seem to go just as they start (for no reason), so I thought well I suppose Windows 7 can't really be any worse than the Vista was to start with (I hope), and I just wondered had anyone tried the 7 release for testing purposes.

I've tested the beta version of windows 7, the biggest problem that most people seem to have with vista is it's use of the UAC - User Account Control (when it asks you to elevate privileges to perform tasks).

It seems that people like the usability of Windows XP, with the look and feel of Vista. Windows 7, although built on the same codebase as Vista and XP, a vast majority of it has been re-written from the ground up, with features such as the virtualisation of the file system, and a new memory management system.

Originally introduced with Vista, UAC is also present in Windows 7. This is a new way of working with accounts for the Windows platform, in that when logging on with an administrator account, it creates 2 security tokens, one with the administrator privileges, and one with restricted privileges, this creates a safer environment overall. Applications are started with the restricted privilege token, and then ask to elevate their privileges, which brings a confirmation box up to allow the user to allow it. 99% of the time the applications shouldn't require elevated privileges. These are some of the common tasks performed that require elevated privileges;

Changes to system-wide settings or to files in %SystemRoot% or %ProgramFiles%
    Installing and uninstalling applications
    Installing device drivers
    Installing ActiveX controls
    Changing settings for Windows Firewall
    Changing UAC settings
    Configuring Windows Update
    Adding or removing user accounts
    Changing a userís account type
    Configuring Parental Controls
    Running Task Scheduler
    Restoring backed-up system files
    Viewing or changing another userís folders and files
    Changing the system time.

You'll notice that the later one may seem insignificant, I mean in the general sense of the term, it's just the date and the time, or is it? Well the reason that this is restricted, is all to do with security, security tokens as already mentioned, are usually created with a time context. A slight skew in time can mean that things stop working, after all, if a security token is created by machine A at 10:30 with a time limit of 20 mins, and machine B's time is 11:00, then the security token is already old, not to mention if the time was 10:00 then the token was created in the future as far as machine B is concerned, thus creating a whole host of new problems (i've experienced these within a domain environment). There are configuration options for UAC, in that it may be disabled altogether. By doing so though would negate the actual advantages of updating Windows.

Many of the problems that people have experienced with Vista, is down to bad habit programming on the half of the application creators, requiring administrator privileges when they shouldn't need to, and some may say that Microsoft attempted to tip the hands of the programmers to get them to use good programming habits.

As you can see from the screenshots though, it looks very like Vista, in it's inital view.
    Attached Files
    Hexo
    -------
    The man that knows how, is always working for the man that knows why

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply Hexosphere a most informative post, I know more now than I did.

I have never set up a log in for Myself as I am the only user of this computer, but if I do would that give Me more access to make changes to the system, I ask more for when I get Windows 7, as it's not too long now, and with all the problems that I get with Vista, it may be better to leave well alone with it, I get trouble with Windows explorer shutting down, and programs failing to start at start/up, though a restart will usually fix it.

Comment

Could I ask Admin if I may put a link to this Thread on My own website, I know that I could just do it but it's only polite to ask first, as this may be of interest to many others, who like Me have an interest in Windows 7.

Comment

Of course, feel free to link this from your own website.

In response to the OP; I have been using Windows 7 for several months now, excellent OS.. very stable, I'd definitely recommend it.
          Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
          Support: 0800-612-8725
          International: +44 191 303 8191

Comment

Thank you Dan,

It's nice to know that Windows 7 is sounding pretty good, as I jumped in and bought Vista as soon as it was released, and being quite honest I have regretted it, I wish that I had waited, though I do like the way that it works.

I just didn't like the idea that I may have made another mistake, but from what you say it sounds OK.

Comment

I honestly love Vista, it's just tempremental to certain pieces of hardware.
              Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
              Support: 0800-612-8725
              International: +44 191 303 8191

Comment

Well I wouldn't go back to XP now that's for certain, but yes some things are a problem.

Comment

Tried Vista but went to back to XP the next day.

Comment

Mmm I felt the same to start with, but after paying a fair bit of money out, I though I bought it I will use it.

Comment

One of the biggest problems that any OS faces is the users fear of change.

I remember when XP first came out, and the same thing happened as it changed the way users used a system, now look at it, 3 service packs later it's a stable workhorse that people don't want to move away from
                      Hexo
                      -------

Comment

Yes I understand what you say about XP all the folks that I know are XP users, and none could understand why I moved on to Vista, but I will move on again to get something that is better, and surely 7 can't be worse than Vista?.

What worries Me is making changes to things, like cpanel, I virtually destroyed two websites in the past with another host, but I have to say that with the help and guidance of support here, I have now moved all My forum images to the server, Mmm please as punch about that, the only thing that I couldn't do was the logo, and support did it for Me.

Yes changing things can be very daunting.

Comment

Yeah, Change is life !!! You should try new things though sometime you may feel its bit hard to adopt yourself in new environment.

It seems that M$ have put a lot of efforts into developing this core OS which is fast enough as compare to XP & Vista but still there are few flaws in Windows 7 which need to be rectified by then.

Confusing Taskbar :- when looking at taskbar its very hard to know which applications are running and which are just links. You need to keep track of all icons and will have to learn what icon belongs to what programs, its a bit cumbersome.
                          Interesting Feature :- Windows 7 have several ready to use themes which include specific background images, colors, sounds and screensavers also there are themes which make use of a desktop slideshow to continually change the desktop image... Interesting !!!

I have not tried Win7 yet but got above updates from a friend who have it.
                          Is it true that Win7 will be available in 6 editions, however only 3 of them will be available for the sale ?
                          UK VPS Hosting || Managed Server Hosting || Reseller Hosting
                          Webhosting affiliate program can make you earn upto £300 Webhosting UK Affiliate

Comment

Thank you Harry,

So much information is coming on this thread, that I think lots of folks will be interested in it, folks like Me that may have, as I have, pre/ordered, and not too sure just what they are about to buy, just great.

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                              Confusing Taskbar :- when looking at taskbar its very hard to know which applications are running and which are just links. You need to keep track of all icons and will have to learn what icon belongs to what programs, its a bit cumbersome.
                              Yeah, as Harry says, meant to put this screenshot in the earlier post, but if you look at the screeny, you can see that IE windows hide under the IE icon (which most would see as a shourtcut - like the taskbar in XP)

In reply to Harry there are 6 editions, though some are only available to certain markets

Windows 7 Starter

* Available worldwide to OEMs on new PCs
                              * Missing Aero UI tweaks
                              * Limited to 3 simultaneous applications

Windows 7 Home Basic

* Only available in emerging markets
                              * Missing Aero UI tweaks

Windows 7 Home Premium

* Available worldwide, to OEMs and in retail
                              * Includes Aero UI tweaks
                              * Features multi-touch capabilities
                              * Adds "premium" games
                              * Adds media capabilities (Media Center, DVD playback, DVD creation, etc.)
                              * Can create home network groups

Windows 7 Professional

* Available worldwide, to OEMs and in retail
                              * Includes all features of Premium
                              * Adds enhanced networking capabilities (Remote Desktop host, domain support, offline folders, etc.)
                              * Adds Mobility Center
                              * Adds Presentation Mode

Windows 7 Enterprise

* Available only in volume licenses
                              * Includes all features of Professional
                              * Adds Branch Cache
                              * Adds Direct Access
                              * Adds BitLocker

Windows 7 Ultimate

* Limited OEM and retail availability
                              * Includes all features of Enterprise

As you can see, the home basic is a cut down version of home premium, which will be made available to certain markets. The enterpirse version is only available for volume licensing, the ultimate version is the Enterprise version, but with limited availabilty to OEM's and possibly some Retail versions. So really there are 4 versions which will be available, however the latter will be restricted.
                              Attached Files
                              Hexo
                              -------

Comment

Working...
                              X