80's Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's Music

Most of this generations music is just over-played and over-rated.

Whatever happened to the good ol' 70's and 80's?

I was born in the late 80's early 90's yet i still prefer this music than todays music. I'm not fond of rap either, i mean most of the time the words don't either make sense or you cant understand them to see if they make sense or not.. It's not a skill to be able to rap.. it's more along the lines of being good at science (Don't ask how it relates, But you can always learn it) There is only a few bands of today who i like and they are Linkin Park, Razorlight, The Kooks and Snow Patrol.

What are your opinions on this, do you like the 80's or do you prefer the music of today.

Discuss...
    Webhosting.UK.com || cPanel VPS Hosting || Reseller Hosting

Sales: 0808-262-0855
    Support: 0800-612-8725
    International: +44 191 303 8191

I think most people like the music of their youth.

Now Admin has taken away my Teenage tag I can safely say that I still love 80's music because that is when I was a teenager. But I think it is more that I can sing along (allegedly) because I have heard those songs more.

I also do ballroom dancing (no not like that !!) and hear a lot of the old time songs from the 40's and 50's which I have also grown to like.

Some of todays music is good and some is bad - but then a lot of the 80's music was also c**p but it doesn't get played any more so you quickly forget it.

Comment

The 80s music I remember was mostly bloody awful - endless identikit Stock Aitken and Waterman crap, The Birdy Song, awful Rock Ballads, Spinal Tap-alikes like Motley Crue. I was glad when Madchester and the early dance scene turned up.

Every decade has good and bad music and on my MP3 I've got stuff from the 20s and 30s right through to In Rainbows but I personally think there is a huge amount of good music around now. Probably more than any decade I've experienced.
      homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto ... ( just Google it )

Comment

There are some awful songs around today, i prefer songs which i can actually understand the words without looking at the lyrics.

Comment

I certainly buy more now than I did before but there are a lot of good bands/artists around - the Killers, the Strokes, Regina Spektor, the Fratellis, the Hives, Radiohead, the White Stripes, the Streets, Muse, Scissor Sisters, Kasabian, the Stereophonics, Rhinocerose, Black Eyed Peas etc etc etc. And that's just off the top of my head, plus you still have some older artists making really good music, like Robert Plant. Even Kylie can make a decent record these days
          Last edited by kev woodman; 05-11-07, 04:02 PM.

Comment

spit on all i'm afraid, apart from r.plant of course.

Late 60's right through the 70's for me. Can't beat Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Atomic Rooster, Boston, Nazareth, Eagles, early Quo, Rush, Bad Company, Be-Bop Deluxe, Santana, but to name just a few! Few still going but was their best music in that period imho.

I can't remember when I last liked a song in recent years. The ones I think are ok are ripped off anyway.

I used to travel to watch bands all the time many years ago, I loved it. Unfortunately there is no one now I would like to see (Apart from Led Zep's reunion, Floyd, (Roger Waters), Madonna poss )

Comment

I would agree with you Jon, i recently "aquired" the Mellow Magic Album which has some late 60's - 70's and i love nearly every track on it.

Comment

Have you ever seen Saxondale Jon?

Comment

Indeed the old days music & songs were good, few young musicians are following the steps of old musician and trying to make the remix of old music but its really lacks the punch and originality which is obvious I find there is lack of creativity mostly in every fields not music alone though.

Comment

But earlier artists were basing their music on even older stuff - e.g. bands like Led Zep were copying Blues. Early Pink Floyd was quite avant garde but their later stuff is more generic. In fact I would argue that there is more originality in the early Rap scene than in a most of the rock music created in the last 30 years. That's not a criticism of rock, or indeed roll, its just that originality is not its strongest point.

As for creativity I'd say that the Internet has caused a revolution in music that is responsible for more creativity than anything I've seen in years, if ever. Have a look at MySpace and see how many young bands/artists there are. Take a look at your local music scene and see how many bands are out there. Vive la difference you old dinosaurs lol

Comment

The music of this generation cannot be compared with the 80’s kind of music as they both have a different charm of their own but I think there was a lot more meaning in the lyrics of the earlier songs which are still loved by a large number of music lovers around the world.

The new generation songs are like the come and go types which are not remembered for a long time due to the huge wave of new artists coming up every year but still one cannot ignore some artists and bands that have made a mark with their songs at present and have a class of their own.

I personally still love to listen to Pink Floyd, U2, Scorpions, Metallica, GnR, Def Leppard and some more from that era.
                      "Don't be so open minded; your brains might fall out"

Comment

Originally posted by kev woodman View Post
                        But earlier artists were basing their music on even older stuff - e.g. bands like Led Zep were copying Blues. Early Pink Floyd was quite avant garde but their later stuff is more generic. In fact I would argue that there is more originality in the early Rap scene than in a most of the rock music created in the last 30 years. That's not a criticism of rock, or indeed roll, its just that originality is not its strongest point.

As for creativity I'd say that the Internet has caused a revolution in music that is responsible for more creativity than anything I've seen in years, if ever. Have a look at MySpace and see how many young bands/artists there are. Take a look at your local music scene and see how many bands are out there. Vive la difference you old dinosaurs lol
                        You made me ancient, I just told about the remix that I really dislike the reason I told earlier.

Comment

But........Blues is a style/genre of music which LZ based some of their songs on, but they also did jazz, rock, pop, glam-rock, etc. That is what makes them the band they were. But every song was original, unlike rap which if i'm not mistaken uses tunes from existing songs and either leaves them intact or remixes them.
                          IMO you can't copy blues, jazz, etc..you play it..you only copy songs.
                          IMO i think everyband i mentioned are original and sound like no other, that is what makes them great.

I regret that i missed out Clapton and JJ Cale from my list. Now if anyone likes the blues then get yourself a copy of Crossroads, it is on DVD

Have you ever seen Saxondale Jon
                          I haven't Kev, i just googled it though, i have seen Saxon though

Comment

LZ didn't just copy the style of blues artists they lifted whole riffs, refrains, lyrics etc from earlier tunes. I love the old lead balloons myself but you can't escape the fact they indulged in a bit of 'sampling'.

Comment

Yes i would be wrong to say that LZ didn't resample certain songs, but isn't it also true that every modern song has distinctions with any one of the Beatles songs who are considered the forefathers of popular music. I mean every songwriter gets his/her inspiration of somebody else.

As far as LZ, afraid you have me at a disadvantage, as for all the songs they have, I only know 3 songs and one rift that wasn't theirs, but they (Page) also wrote some great ones didn't they!

Comment

Working...
                              X