Although the basic architecture and point to VPS server hosting and hybrid VPS server hosting are the same, both are designed to meet the requirements of different audiences and this is one factor that is reflected in the pricing of VPS server hosting and hybrid VPS server hosting, as well as the resources that you will be able to get for your money.
Standard VPS servers are generally low cost and are normally aimed at users who need something that is more powerful than any shared web hosting service but don’t have a huge budget for their web hosting services; the resource assignments that are available ordinary VPS servers are normally very low and can’t compare to what dedicated server hosting has to offer, even though VPS hosting is used by some as a stop gap before moving on to dedicated server hosting. Hybrid VPS servers are normally designed to take the place of a dedicated server in the situation where a highly reliable web hosting service with large resource assignments is required; hybrid VPS servers are aimed at power users and businesses, as is reflected in the price of a hybrid VPS server and the resources that are available with most hybrid VPS servers.
The hardware that any VPS server is hosted on can play a key role in the reliability of the VPS server itself, as you will find when comparing standard VPS server hosting and hybrid VPS server hosting; most VPS servers are hosted on low quality hardware that isn’t designed to last long, whilst hybrid VPS servers are normally hosted on high end hardware with specific server configurations in place to ensure that users receive the highest levels of uptime possible and to help the hosting node remain stable. If you only have basic expectations of your VPS server then standard VPS server hosting is likely to be the right form of web hosting for you, and you will still be able to make the most of the dedicated environment and other features that VPS server hosting has to offer; hybrid VPS server hosting is better suited to businesses who have a need for a dedicated server but aren’t able to justify the cost as you will be provided with the same advantages as using a dedicated server, albeit at a cost which is a lot more justifiable in most cases. It is also important to make sure that you don’t get standard VPS hosting and hybrid VPS server hosting mixed up, and so it is best to use web hosting reviews websites to find the right web hosting provider for your needs as each web hosting service available will be categorized under the form of web hosting that it is.
What can an ordinary VPS server offer me over a hybrid VPS server?
A standard VPS server is the best form of virtual web hosting available for users who are upgrading from shared or reseller web hosting when you consider the resources that you will get for your money as well as how much you will have to pay for your virtual server. The main thing that an ordinary VPS server can offer you over a hybrid VPS server is low cost VPS server hosting; the low resources and cheap hardware used means that web hosting providers are able to offer their ordinary VPS server hosting services at a low cost, benefiting those with small budgets for web hosting. The resources offered by an orindary VPS server are normally much more in line with what most users will require, hence why VPS server hosting is so popular; although the resources offered by a hybrid VPS server may also be an advantage to that form of web hosting, most people will never be able to make the most of what they have paid for. You will find that the combination of useful resources and the cost of an ordinary VPS server makes VPS server hosting good value for money when compared to hybrid VPS server hosting; since VPS server hosting is aimed at users with low budgets, finding a web hosting service that is good value for money is going to be important for the target audience. In summary, normal VPS server hosting can offer you the following over a hybrid VPS server:
- Cost – the cost of an ordinary VPS server is what attracts most people to using them as they are able to offer a more reliable and dedicated alternative to shared website hosting and reseller web hosting services, and the price of your average VPS server isn’t much more than that of a reseller hosting package – most web hosting providers are able to offer some form of low cost VPS server hosting meaning that it may pay to shop around, but with VPS server hosting you should be aware that the state of the management of the VPS server will also have an effect on how much you pay, i.e. an unmanaged VPS server is going to be the cheapest available whilst a managed dedicated server is going to be slightly more expensive
- Sensible resources – the resources that are available with an ordinary VPS server are much more sensible for what most users will require, and this is why VPS server hosting as it is is marketed at users who are upgrading from shared web hosting or reseller web hosting – if you are upgrading from shared web hosting or reseller web hosting then the likelihood is that you don’t have strict requirements when it comes to the resources that you require, and so you will probably find that VPS server hosting is more appropriate for your requirements since you will be able to make use of the advantages that a VPS server can offer you but with the resources that you can be sure that you need
- Value for money – VPS server hositng can offer much better value for money than hybrid VPS server hosting when you consider what you get and how much you are paying, and most users who consider a hybrid VPS server are more likely to be better off with spending extra so that they can get a dedicated server – if you don’t have high expectations from your web hosting service then you will probably find an ordinary VPS server to be the best value for money when you consider your requirements, but if you feel that a VPS server isn’t able to offer you what you need then you can always consider a hybrid VPS server if you know that it will be able to meet your needs.
An ordinary VPS server has a lot to offer over a hybrid VPS server for someone who is upgrading from shared web hosting and may not have the budget to cover the cost of a hybrid VPS server. However, the resources offered by an ordinary VPS server are normally more than suitable for most users; this means that a standard VPS server should be anyone’s first step into dedicated web hosting.
What can a hybrid VPS server offer me over a standard VPS server?
Hybrid VPS servers have a lot to offer over standard VPS servers, but they are mainly aimed at businesses and this is reflected in the pricing of your average hybrid VPS server as well as the specifications of most hybrid VPS servers. The main advantage that a hybrid VPS server has to offer over a standard VPS server is the resources that most hybrid VPS servers will come with as hybrid VPS servers are designed to mimic dedicated servers to an extent; as well as being provided with large assignments of disk space, RAM and bandwidth you will also find that you have a guaranteed CPU share, and that your VPS server is being hosted on enterprise class hardware.
The resources that are offered with a hybrid VPS server also mean that you can come to expect a higher level of uptime from your VPS server, and this is one factors which most businesses will seriously consider when choosing a web hosting service; since you will have access to your own dedicated environment only you can affect the performance of your hybrid VPS server, but because of the resources that you have at your disposal it is unlikely that you are going to face any reliability issues. Security is something else which hybrid VPS servers are able to offer since the large resource assignments that are available will allow you to secure your VPS server properly; this is another factor which businesses will consider in a web hosting service since a compromised web hosting environment can cause businesses serious problems. In summary, a hybrid VPS server can offer you the following over a regular VPS server:
- Resource assignments – a hybrid VPS server will be able to offer you greater resource assignments than any normal VPS server will ever be able to, meaning that if your requirements dictate that you have a powerful server then you may wish to consider a hybrid VPS server as a more affordable alternative to a dedicated server – because web hosting providers will try and maximise the performance of each VPS server by only hosting a few on each node, they are able to offer large resource assignments with each individual hybrid VPS server – this does however have a downside as it means that a hybrid VPS server can be fairly expensive
- Reliability – this is one major factor that businesses are going to seriously consider in any web hosting service that they are going to purchase, and since hybrid VPS servers are aimed at businesses this is one factor that web hosting providers will have at the top of their lists – server reliability can be an issue in some cases and if a server is unreliable then the websites on that server will be unavailable at times, and if you are a business this can cause serious problems as it means that your customers won’t be able to find your website and if your website offers you a source of income then you could be losing revenue every second that your website is down
- Security – as this is another factor that will be taken seriously by businesses who are looking for web hosting services that can fulfill their needs, web hosting providers try and offer their hybrid VPS servers to business as forms of secure web hosting – because you will have your own dedicated environment you won’t need to worry about other users or websites that may be easily compromised, but more importantly you can easily secure your hybrid VPS server to a level that suits you since you will have full root/administrator access which will allow you to install any application of your choice on your hybrid VPS server.
As a business you will probably find that a hybrid VPS server is able to meet your requirements to a good extent, especially if you are thinking about going for a dedicated server. Although a hybrid VPS server and a dedicated server are both very different in terms of form factor, when you compare the resources available with both you will discover that a hybrid VPS server can offer you what a mid-range dedicated server should be able to, just at a much lower price. Depending on what your requirements are, it may be more appropriate to consider a dedicated server for your requirements if you have the right budget.
In conclusion, VPS servers and hybrid VPS servers are both forms of virtual private server hosting but are designed for different audiences. Ordinary VPS hosting is aimed at people with lower budgets and is seen as a stop gap in between shared web hosting services and dedicated web hosting services, as is reflected in the cost of a VPS server. Hybrid VPS servers are aimed at businesses and are able to offer resource and reliability levels that are similar to those of dedicated servers; however, they do cost more than your average VPS server but are able to offer you a lot more.