At some point you will need to upgrade from shared web hosting to dedicated web hosting as your website expands as shared web hosting plans are only designed to host smaller websites, as is evident with the resources that are provided with your average shared web hosting plan.
The move from shared hosting to dedicated hosting is rarely one that can be achieved with zero downtime, but businesses have to consider the benefits that are to be had from using a dedicated web hosting service over a shared web hosting service which is one of the driving factors for the upgrade in the first place.
Where web hosting companies use the same software on their shared hosting nodes and provide the option for this software to be included on their dedicated hosting servers, the move from shared hosting to dedicated hosting can be less stressful since transferring data between two systems that are running the same proprietary control panel software is pretty simple.
One of the main issues that businesses can face with an upgrade in web hosting service is the added cost that is attributed to purchasing a more powerful web hosting service, but this is to be expected if you are to make progress with the development of your website.
What are the main issues to consider with an upgrade?
Upgrading from shared hosting to dedicated hosting can be a big task and depending on how you go about it, you may face some issues with the upgrade. The main issues you could face include:
- Moving data – when moving large amounts of data, such as those associated with web hosting accounts, care needs to be taken to ensure that all of the correct data is transferred with no data being lost during the transfer – prior to doing any transfer it is important to take a backup of the web hosting account that is being transferred to ensure that if any data is lost, there is at last one other copy available – account transfers between shared hosting accounts and dedicated web hosting services need to be done professionally to maintain the integrity of the data whilst being able to guarantee that the data will still function correctly with the necessary services once the transfer is complete – in some cases the transfer may be simple if the same software is being used, i.e. if it’s a transfer between two cPanel servers, but in other circumstances a transfer may be slightly more complicated
- Price increase – shared web hosting packages are designed to be some of the cheapest web hosting plans available, whereas dedicated web hosting services such as VPS servers and dedicated servers fall at the more expensive end of the scale, this means that if you are going to be upgrading from shared web hosting to dedicated web hosting you are going to face a price increase at some point – as it is usually businesses that are upgrading their web hosting services, there is normally a sufficient level of revenue available to cover an increase in the cost of web hosting services and for the most part it is important for the cost to be justifiable in order for an upgrade to occur
- Redundant resources – with the upgrade to a more powerful web hosting service comes extra resources and although you are going to be upgrading because you require extra resources, your needs be result in there being excess resources in order areas because you aren’t able to use them to their full potential – however, by choosing a dedicated web hosting service you are provided with the facility to customize the resources so that you are only paying for a web hosting service that meets your extended specification – most web hosting providers should be able to help with the provisioning of custom web hosting plans to big budget holders.
Why should I consider upgrading to a dedicated web hosting service?
If you are starting to reach the limits on your existing shared web hosting plan then you may wish to consider dedicated web hosting as your next move in order to provide yourself with the extra resources that you require. Other reasons for considering an upgrade include:
- Reliability – compared to shared web hosting, a VPS server or a dedicated server will be able to provide you with a much greater level of reliability which will remove the worry of having to check whether your website is accessible at regular intervals – with a shared web hosting environment you are going to be sharing the hosting server with a number of other users, whereas with a dedicated web hosting service you will have your own dedicated web hosting environment; within the context of a shared web hosting environment this makes it hard for web hosting companies to constantly monitor the activity of every hosting account, but with a dedicated web hosting environment you don’t have to worry about the actions of others affecting the performance of your website
- Security – a similar idea can be applied to the security provided by both forms of web hosting; because of the number of websites hosted on a shared web hosting server, it is pretty much impossible for web hosting companies to monitor the security of each individual web hosting account, which in-turn means that the security provided in a shared web hosting environment may not be up to the standards that most people expect – however, with a dedicated web hosting environment you will be able to configure a level of security that you feel is most suiting to your needs.
In conclusion, making the move from shared web hosting to dedicated hosting is one that is guided by most web hosting companies to ensure the smoothest transition possible for their customers whilst maintaining the integrity of the data that is being transferred.
Although such an upgrade can be expensive for some, most businesses are able to justify a dedicated web hosting service through the benefits that are to be had through reliability and security, as these will allow the extra costs to be made up through the extra revenue that can be generated.