A Linux VPS server is the most popular form of VPS server hosting available and many people will consider a Linux VPS server over a Windows VPS server any day because of the added qualities that the Linux operating system may have for them.
Linux VPS servers tend to vary greatly in price with low specification Linux VPS servers being incredibly cheap, and higher end Linux VPS servers being rather expensive with prices that would normally be more applicable to dedicated server hosting services. Linux VPS server hosting is offered by many web hosting providers because of how easy it is to get offer your own Linux VPS server hosting services; although it is recommended to pay more than choose a web hosting provider that uses Virtuozzo for its VPS server hosting services, for cheaper Linux VPS servers some web hosting providers will be using open source solutions such as OpenVZ and Xen. A Linux VPS server will be able to offer you your own dedicated hosting environment which you can use to your advantage as this will allow you to install any applications that you require specifically on your VPS server; this single advantage is the main reason that many businesses and individuals that are running large websites move up to dedicated web hosting from shared hosting services.
Upgrading to a Linux VPS server from a shared web hosting package is one of the best moves you can make with web hosting as shared web hosting services aren’t known for being reliable or secure, but with a Linux VPS server you will be able to make your VPS server as reliable and as secure as you need it to be; with a VPS server you are provided with guaranteed resources that are your own to use however you like, and this allows you to ensure that your VPS server is highly reliable but at the same time is also highly secure. In some cases a Linux VPS server may be easier for someone to manage than a Windows VPS server; with server management you should always make sure that you choose a server that is running the operating system that you have experience with, but if this isn’t possible then you should choose a VPS server that is running the operating system that meets your requirements – you can then opt for managed server hosting services, and if you do your research then it isn’t that hard to find a web hosting provider that will be able to offer you a managed Linux VPS server if that is what you require.
Advantages of Using a Linux VPS Server
Depending on what your requirements are of your web hosting package, you will probably find using a Linux VPS server to be very beneficial; in most cases people will be upgrading to using Linux VPS server hosting from a shared web hosting package, and in such a case users will notice a very clear performance increase when going from shared web hosting to dedicated web hosting. The main advantage of using a Linux VPS server is the fact that you will have full root access via SSH to your dedicated web hosting environment which will allow you to manage your VPS server properly; having full root access means that you can carry out specific tasks on your VPS server that would otherwise be impossible, such as the installation of applications or the configuration of the hosting environment. A Linux VPS server will also be able to offer you a high level of reliability which you will come to realise is much higher than anything that can be offered by other Linux web hosting services that are available; a majority of those who use Linux VPS hosting services are normally businesses or individuals who are running large websites, and either party is likely to require a highly reliable web hosting service. A Linux VPS server can also be secured to a very high level which makes VPS server hosting ideal for users whose websites process personal data and store it in a database for example; many online retailers prefer to have their own dedicated server hosting environment for their website as it means that they can keep a close eye on security, but if something does go wrong and any important data is compromised then you could find yourself in trouble. You will find that the main advantages of using a Linux VPS server include:
- Root access – any reputable web hosting provider will offer full root access with any Linux VPS server hosting service, and this is one of the main reasons that people consider Linux VPS server hosting as it will allow them to use their web hosting package for much more as it will allow you greater flexibility than shared web hosting – in order to make the most of root access to your Linux VPS server it is important for you to know how to manage a Linux server over SSH as if you haven’t opted for a web hosting control panel for your VPS server this will be the only way that you can access it – however, accessing your Linux VPS server via SSH will allow you to achieve a lot more since this will be the method that you use for installing new applications on your VPS server and to configure your Linux VPS server to perform in the way that you want it to
- Reliability – one of the main reasons that you are likely to be considering a Linux VPS server for your hosting requirements is that your current web hosting package isn’t able to offer you the level of reliability that you require for a web hosting service to be able to meet your requirements – Linux VPS server hosting can offer you high levels of reliability because of the fact that you will have your own dedicated resources to make use of, but the amounts of certain server resources that you have available to use will mostly depend on the Linux VPS server hosting package that you choose to use – however, in order to make your Linux VPS server more reliable it is advised that you optimize any applications that could be seen as ‘resource intensive’ as this will mean that they will use less server resources, thus freeing up more resources if there happens to be a spike in usage
- Security – Linux is well known for being a secure operating system and is often chosen over Windows because of its added security benefits, and when used in a VPS server hosting environment you can optimize the operating system to be as secure as you require it to be – there are many third party applications that you can use on your Linux VPS server to make it more secure, but there are also tweaks that can be made to applications that you are using already which can help to make them more secure – it is a good idea to take all the steps you can to secure your Linux VPS server since like reliability, security is a major factor that can influence the running of your VPS server which means that it should be taken seriously.
The advantages of using a Linux VPS server mean that it is a worthy upgrade if you are currently using a Linux shared web hosting package but require something more from your web hosting service. Linux VPS server hosting is likely to be your next upgrade but it is important for you to be aware of what your requirements are so that you can choose the appropriate VPS server.
Disadvantages of Using a Linux VPS Server
There can also be disadvantages to using Linux VPS server hosting, but you do need to consider that VPS server hosting is a higher end form of web hosting which means that more responsibilities come with using Linux VPS server hosting. The main disadvantage of using a Linux VPS server when compared to other web hosting packages available or your existing web hosting service is the price of VPS server hosting; although a Linux VPS server may not be as expensive as a Windows VPS server, you still have to pay a fair bit for a Linux VPS server because of the fact that you are paying for your own hardware resources, however justifying the cost should be easy if Linux VPS server hosting is the right form of web hosting for your requirements.
Managing a Linux VPS server isn’t the easiest thing to do either, and if you want to keep your VPS server in good shape then it is recommended that you consider a fully managed Linux VPS server if you feel that you don’t have the necessary skills to manage your VPS server properly; in order to be able to manage your linux VPS server properly you will need to know how to use SSH, and if you can’t do this then you should leave the management of your VPS server to someone else. The resource allocations of Linux VPS servers aren’t massive when compared to what you can get from a dedicated server, and if you are paying for a high end VPS server then you may wish to consider dedicated server hosting; only low end Linux VPS servers are cost effective as when your needs become more greater it will probably be most cost effective for you to invest in a dedicated server as this will be able to offer you even more advantages. In summary, the main disadvantages of using a Linux VPS server include:
- Price – the cost of VPS server hosting can be one disadvantage of upgrading to using a Linux VPS server from a Linux shared hosting package, but the thing to remember is that if Linux VPS server hosting really is the right form of web hosting for you then justifying the cost will be easy – VPS servers cost more than traditional web hosting packages because you are buying more from your website hosting provider, since although you are still paying for virtual resources you are actually paying for different types of resources that aren’t offered with traditional shared web hosting packages, and this can help to purchase the cost of a Linux VPS server up
- Server management – this can be a major disadvantage of using any dedicated hosting service as you are expected to have some sort of knowledge of how to manage your purchase correctly, although there are managed Linux VPS server hosting services available for consumers who don’t have the skills to manage a Linux VPS server but they require one – in order to manage a Linux VPS server correctly you will need to know how to manage your server via SSH, and this requires some skill as SSH is a command line based interface meaning that you will need to know the commands that you need to type in to complete a specific task, although there are many tutorials available on the internet covering the basics of SSH if you have never used it before
- Server specifications – the specifications of most Linux VPS servers ensure that they offer good value for money, but in order for a Linux VPS server to be cost effective you should only consider a low end Linux VPS server if you require VPS server hosting – if you are after a high end Linux VPS server then you may find it more beneficial to consider a Linux dedicated server for your requirements as in some cases a Linux dedicated server will be able to offer you more advantages than a Linux VPS server if you are going to be paying a lot, but the only problem in such a situation is that you would have to make do with a low specification dedicated server.
You will find that the disadvantages of a Linux VPS server don’t necessarily limit what you will be able to do with your Linux VPS server but do mean that it may not after all be the right form of web hosting for your requirements.
In conclusion, a Linux VPS server is a worthwhile investment if you are currently using a Linux shared hosting package and are finding that it isn’t able to keep up with your requirements anymore. The good thing is that your existing web hosting provider is likely to be offering Linux VPS server hosting as well as your current web hosting service which can make things easier if you wish to migrate all your data over slowly; alternatively, you can have your web hosting provider’s support team migrate your web hosting account for you if they support this.