2012’s Biggest Breaking news of the Hosting Industry comes from HostGator this Time
Hostgator, one of the biggest brands in the hosting Industry and known for its wicked nature of eating up the competition has been swallowed up whole by a larger predator in the Industry, the EIG (Endurance International Group).
The News has gone viral and spreading across the Internet like a wild fire where everyone seems to be shattered about the acquisition of HostGator. Initially it was supposed to be some sort of rumor but a reply from the CEO of HostGator Brent Oxley to one of the enquirers, posted the conversation on webhostingtalk which confirms Hosgator to be sold to EIG for $225 million USD.
Let’s take a quick look at the History of HostGator :
- Registered on October 10, 2002
- 2/1/2003: 112 active customers
- 2/1/2004: 1,031 active customers
- 2/1/2005: 6,892 active customers
- 2/1/2006: 21,434 active customers
- 2/1/2007: 50,213 active customers
- 2/1/2008: 92,752 active customers
- 2/1/2009: 157,432 active customers and growing……until 2012
- 2012 : 400000 and growing …… But only until 2012
- Owned approx. 12,000 servers
- Served more than 400,000 customers from across the world
- More that 8 million domains hosted
- The Largest Reseller Hosting provider
Though there hasn’t been any confirmed news about the transfer of Hostgators ownership to EIG, but according Brent it is supposed to happen sometime in mid July.
What happens with the existing customers of HostGator?
It’s completely understandable if shivers have already started to run through the spines, they’ve got all the reasons to get panicked. Though the Brent confirms that EIG has agreed to keep the existing Management and staff, but nothing really confirms this.
Would the same quality of support and services be expected hereafter? …….. Only time would tell.
Visit the Webhosting UK website for more news, knowledge base articles, blog posts and information on our wide range of hosting services.