A dedicated server can offer you the highest levels of uptime and security out of all of the main forms of web hosting that can be purchased from most web hosting providers, meaning that as a business you are likely to find using a dedicated server the best move in terms of web hosting for your requirements.
Although a dedicated server may be more expensive than any other web hosting solutions that you have considered, having your own physical server can bring its own advantages in terms of server resources and what you are able to use your dedicated server for.
Windows dedicated server hosting services are available to meet the requirements of users who wish to host websites that are based on Microsoft technologies, whilst Linux dedicated servers are able to meet the requirements of those who don’t require Windows based website hosting services and may be after a dedicated server.
The management of a dedicated server is another thing that can put most people off using a dedicated server, but the truth is that there is a dedicated server suitable for you regardless of your requirements or management experience; managed dedicated servers are available and in this case you will be able to rely on your web hosting provider’s support team to manage your dedicated server for you, but if you feel you are a bit more experienced and will be able to handle the management of your dedicated server then there are unmanaged dedicated server hosting services available.
Making the most of dedicated server hosting can be hard in some cases, but larger web hosting providers will allow you to customize the specifications of your dedicated server during the order process; this will allow you to build a dedicated server that meets your requirements perfectly, and as well as offering good value for money this also means that you won’t have to pay for resources that you don’t require.
Although VPS hosting and dedicated server hosting are often compared, it is important to note that VPS server hosting is a form of virtual web hosting whilst dedicated server hosting offers you your own physical server. As a dedicated server customer you are likely to be considered for priority support if you choose managed dedicated server hosting services; this means that even if there is a problem with your server whilst your web hosting provider is busy dealing with other support requests, your support request is likely to be prioritized over those put in by other users, such as those who are on shared hosting.
What are the advantages of using a dedicated server?
Using a dedicated server will be able to offer you many advantages that no other form of web hosting will be able to offer you, primarily because dedicated server hosting is the one form of web hosting where you will be able to make use of your own server without having to worry about the impact that other users could have.
The main advantage of using a dedicated server is the level of reliability that you can come to expect from a properly managed dedicated server; because you are paying for your own physical server, you are able to make full use of your server’s resources without having to worry about any other users because you won’t be sharing your server with anyone else.
A dedicated server can also offer you security like no other form of web hosting can, simply because it is only you who will be using your dedicated server meaning that you will be aware of just how secure your dedicated server; regardless of whether you choose a Windows dedicated server or a Linux dedicated server, there are many measures that you can take to help secure your web hosting environment.
You also have the ability to install any applications of your choice, which means that you can customize your dedicated server to function the way you want it to and can configure your web hosting environment to work with applications or components that you may require in order to allow your website to function correctly; however, when installing extra applications it is important for you to be aware of your server’s resources so that you don’t overload it. In summary, the main advantages of a dedicated server include:
- Reliability – this is one of the main factors that people upgrade to dedicated server hositng for, purely because shared web hosting services and VPS server hosting services aren’t able to meet the same levels of reliability that a dedicated server has to offer – however, to make the most of a dedicated server in terms of reliability it is important for you to optimize the applications that you have installed on your dedicated server so that they use less resources, therefore freeing up more system resources which can be used by other applications as and when needed – the higher the specification of your dedicated server the less likely it is that you’ll need to seriously optimize any applications you have installed
- Security – as well as reliability, security is another factor that people will upgrade to dedicated server hosting for because shared web hosting services and VPS server hosting services aren’t always able to guarantee high levels of security because of the fact that the hosting server is being shared with other users in one way or another – a dedicated server will offer you your own dedicated web hosting environment which can be secured to a level which suits you, and because you aren’t sharing your dedicated server with anyone else you won’t have to worry about affecting the performance of anyone else’s website when securing your dedicated server
- Install any applications – you will also have the ability to install any additional applications or services that you require on your dedicated server, just as long as they are legal and aren’t against your website hosting provider’s AUP (Acceptable Usage Policy) – some people upgrade to dedicated server hosting because they require applications or services that aren’t available on shared web hosting services, and so by using a dedicated server they are able to customize their web hosting environment to allow their website to function correctly.
A dedicated server will mean that you won’t have to worry about security or reliability ever, just as long as your dedicated server is managed properly to make sure it remains reliable and secure. You will be amazed at the performance that you can get from a dedicated server, but after all you will be the only one using your dedicated server which means that you can make full use of the resources that you have purchased.
What are the disadvantages of using a dedicated server?
Dedicated server hosting services also have their disadvantages and these are mainly down to the fact that you are paying for a physical hosting server rather than a virtual hosting service, meaning that there are many more factors that need to be taken into consideration.
The main disadvantage of dedicated server hosting is the cost, and this is normally bought about because of the fact that you are paying for physical hardware rather than virtual resources; however, if dedicated server hosting is the right form of web hosting for you then you shouldn’t have any trouble justifying the cost.
Managing a dedicated server can put some people off using dedicated server hosting, but this is one thing that can be easily solved if you feel that you don’t have the necessary skills to manage a dedicated server correctly; there are managed dedicated servers available for those who require them, but if you think you are able to manage your dedicated server correctly then you can always opt for an unmanaged dedicated server.
Network uptime is another factor that can prove to be a disadvantage with dedicated server hosting; although you may be able to ensure that your own dedicated server is as reliable as possible, that is no use if the network that it is on is unreliable as if the network goes down, your dedicated server won’t be available. In summary, the main disadvantages of using a dedicated server include:
- Cost – dedicated servers cost a lot of money, and there is no denying that but you can make your own efforts to ensure that the dedicated server you purchase is able to meet your requirements but is also within your budget – the best way to do this is by comparing the many web hosting deals that are available that suit your requirements, as you can then select the one dedicated server which will be able to meet your requirements in terms of budgeting – the cheapest dedicated servers available are going to be the ones with lower specifications and may necessarily be unmanaged, and although these dedicated servers may tempt you it is more important for you to consider a dedicated server that suits your requirements, regardless of cost
- Server management – whether you choose to have Windows installed on your dedicated server or Linux, there are certain skills that you will require if you stand a chance of being able to manage your dedicated server properly – some people may already have such skills if they have worked with servers before or are upgrading from VPS server hosting – however, if you feel that you won’t be able to manage your own dedicated server properly then rest assured there are managed dedicated server hosting services available and although these may cost more than unmanaged dedicated servers it will mean that you won’t have to worry about the management of your dedicated server
- Network reliability – most people don’t consider the network that their dedicated server is hosted on since as far as they’re concerned, if they have made the efforts to ensure that their server is reliable then they have nothing to worry – however, an unreliable network can cause you problems since if the network that your dedicated server hosted on is down then your dedicated server will be unreachable from the outside – because of this it is important for you to choose a web hosting provider that puts emphasis on its network uptime, as the combination of a reliable server and reliable network will bring you high levels of uptime.
Although using a dedicated server does have its disadvantages to offer, if you manage your dedicated server properly and use it for what it’s meant for then you will find that you won’t face any issues with your dedicated server hosting service.
Although the cost of a dedicated server may be an issue for some people, if you shop around then you will probably find a dedicated server that is within your budget and is able to meet your requirements to a certain extent. If you do find it hard to make the most of your dedicated server then you are likely to be wasting your money, and in such a case VPS server hosting is probably more than sufficient for your needs.
In conclusion, dedicated server hosting services have many advantages to offer users who feel that shared hosting services and VPS server hosting services are no longer able to meet the requirements.
Choosing a dedicated server can be a difficult task, but as long as you know what you need from a dedicated server and choose the right web hosting provider then you are likely to have found yourself a reliable dedicated server hosting solution.
Visit the WHUK website for more news, knowledge base articles, blog posts and information on our wide range of hosting services.